április 26, 2007

On request: love and love

This is a post I am quite late with. I promised working on it to Anniina but I'm sure it will please those of you out there also, who have an appetite for linguistics and hidden meaning of words.
Let's set up definitions love type1 and type2. Type1 is for a love that is between married couples and in general, between a man and a woman. Some more 'up-to-date' persons might add some other combinations to the list, but this is my blog. Type2 however is something one usually feels towards his/her children, God, friends, fellow beings - provided that said person has any of those.
In the Hungarian language there are two words for the feeling(s) that the English compounds as 'love'. These are nouns and I admit, that if we need the verb form, the verb is the same for both feelings.
The English says:
'I love you' - and upon circumstances and speakers the reader/listener decides whether it is love type1 or type2.
The Hungarian says:
'Szeretlek' - and the situation is the same, although the Hungarian, being an agglutinative language, needs only one word for what the English uses three. But that's not my point. Not now.
But behold, when it comes to nouns.
The English says:
'love' - and one decides whether the speaker/writer refers to type1 or type2. Is it a love between a man and his dog or his womanly partner? between friends or very good friends?
The Hungarian on the other hand, says:
'szerelem'- for type1
'szeretet' - for type2.
Most of our original words have their own roots and thus, one (who's not brainwashed enough) might dig into words in search of something treasured - and usually there is a find to excavate for.
You might have noticed that both of our nouns start with 'szer' and end up differently: 'etet' and 'elem'. Got that, right?
'szer' is a very difficult word to describe - even for most Hungarians it has lost its original meaning. We still have this root, though in words like 'szerszám' - meaning instrument, utensil, tool. In which the 'szám', means 'a piece of'. And also in 'szervez' - meaning 'to organize'. In which the 'vez' - might be a shortened form for 'leading/leader'.
I conclude 'szer' being a noun that refers to something that is not really physical, but essential. If you perform a ritual, you participate a 'szer'. Think of the English (though Latin-derived) ceremony. See the 'szer' at the beginning of the word?
'szer' is a ceremony, during which on can practice rites and his/her beliefs.
Now, let's get back to the back of the loves, type1 and2.
'elem' - (noun) means particle, component, piece of, factor, unit.
I conclude that this addition makes 'szerelem' (love, type1) something of a ritual that is part of a higher ceremony.
'etet' - (verb) means to feed, to supply one with food. (on a side note: 'itat' - (verb) means to supply one with water...pls note the t-t's in both verbs)
Following my logic towards the creation of Hungarian expressions, this turns 'szeretet' (love, type2) to a rite that nourishes. A sequence and package of events and feelings that leaves one fed and comforted. It is inevitable if one is to live and develop.
Your turn: can you name any other language, be it real or fictional, alive or long forgotten, where the same phenomenon exists? And if your native language is not English, please inform me/us about the word for love. And love.
I set my mind not to bother you with pronounciation, as that's not the main issue here. However, if you are interested in how to say aloud these Hungarian words, just go ahead and ask me.

13 megjegyzés:

Melly` írta...

English is a heck of a hard language when you think of it. For love you can interpret it as a noun - and add "love" as a tennis score and also a informal term of address (I DESPISE being called "Love" by the way)and any object of affection or devotion... "the theatre was her first love" etc...

Somedays you think WAY HEAVIER than ever I try too!

How about.. tell me what your name means? And I would love to hear you say your name.. how is your name SAID.

Beth írta...

I would like to know the pronounciation.

English is my first language and I was always grateful -- it seems to be the hardest to learn. Although asian languages seem wild as well.

I took French. I don't know a thing about it so cannot help you on your quest.

SzélsőFa írta...

oh, yes, Melly, I have often wondered why 'love' is used as interpreting a certain stage of a tennis play - I can't really recall what it is...
And you're right, 'love' as a word is a noun, an adjective, a verb...a whole complex...

My name?
go here:
http://szelsofa.blogspot.com/2006/07/guide-for-potential-newcomers.html
How is it said?
I go letter by letter and you add it up, K?
sz- as the 's' in 'say'
é - as the 'a' in 'say'
l - as the English 'l'
s - as the 'sh' in 'hush'
ő - well... something similar to the 'i' in 'bird'
f - as 'the English 'f'
a - as the 'u' is Sun

I felt the love in your interest. Thank you very much. I needed it. Thanks again.

SzélsőFa írta...

To Beth -
szeretet/szerelem

say 'sz' as a normal English 's' as in Sun (as 'sz' is a separate consonant, a double consonant)

say 'e' as the first 'e' in 'hacker' or as the second 'e' in 'internet'

and all the other consonants are to be said as in English

Anniina írta...

Fascinating post, SF. I don't know of other languages where there is such a firm distinction of the types of love .

In response to the comments above, I speak 5 languages, and in my opinion, of all 5, English was the easiest of them all to learn. By far.

SzélsőFa írta...

I'm glad you liked it, Anniina.
I also think this is fascinating - that's why I wrote this particular entry.
And I completely agree with you: English is not the hardeset language to learn.
I have Hungarian under my skin, so let's not count that, but I flirted with Spanish, German, too - but they were way more difficult than English.
But If I had to learn Hungarian as a second language, well, I'd rather master two other languages I assume :)))

SzélsőFa írta...

But I also have to add that sometimes I read English, know every word, but still can't get the overall meaning. It is not easy.

Bart Treuren írta...

thank you for this fascinating post... i have a great love of languages, the similarities and the differences and the ways in which people in different social groups wish to express themselves in often incomprehensible ways to outsiders...

my mother language is english, my second mother language is dutch which in a way opened the door to my being able to intuitively feel the nuances of totally different experience fields... after that i learned german and french at school which again opened my eyes to the ways circumstance and situation reflect themselves in the ways people express themselves....

and once again, after having left school i took several courses, amongst others in spanish, russian and chinese and was once again confronted with the magic of words and meaning, getting totally tangled up in each other at all the wrong moments and in inexplicable ways...

SzélsőFa írta...

I thought it would have a special appeal to those who speak and/or master more than one languages.
Another language implies a different way of thinking I suppose.

onlyjokinglasse írta...

They say that Finnish is also very difficult in addition to Hungarian. They are supposed to be kindred languages but with very few words in common. I do not remember any.

SzélsőFa írta...

Oh yes, according to the Academic view, those two languages are kindred. But I don't see much support to that theory, either. As many research, rejected by the Academy of course also says that they have not much in common...

onlyjokinglasse írta...

Hi SzélsőFa, thank you for your comment. The "music" or how the languages sound are nevertheless quite alike. Once I was abroad in a big mall and heard from far two people speaking and I could not hear the actual words. I thought they were Finns but after getting near I realised that they had to be Hungarians!

SzélsőFa írta...

Yes, that is kind of an urban legend that seems to work/ be true!