május 15, 2007

if I were a rich man - a meme

As an introduction, here's a proof of me not being a filthy rich person. Presenting the upper western corner of our living/children/bed-room below. But before you consider sending us money over to mend the wall above the stove, sit and relax. How could a rich man possibly ever get a nice shot of trees' shadow combined with bad plaster on the wall in a ridiculously sunny Monday morning? In his/her own room? Now you know why I like not being rich.
This one comes over Anniina.

My five things/do's are

1. I would buy land. A really large piece of territory. With some hills and forests and creek and a lake perhaps. I would make my own organic farm in the middle of it, but basically, I'd do nothing with the land - would pay guards to not let anyone do any harm to it.

2. I would suggest my friends and relatives to move closer to me and perhaps, work on the same farm. I'd achieve it perhaps by buying them adjacent lands :)


3. I would have my eyes corrected so as no to wear glasses ever again.

4. I would travel a lot more. Considering I only travel abroad like every two-three years, that is not much of a request. I'd have my own small airplane, too. I'd do parachute diving, too. I'd love to drive a small airplane.


5. I would raise a fund so that I can use the money for eco and/or educational purposes according to my wish and to the well-being of the environment and/or kids.

I'm sure most of you know the Fiddler on The Roof musical. In the Hungarian version there is a line I completely disagree with: 'temetném a munkát' - which literally translates to 'I would dig a burying hole for work in general'. No matter how much money I had: I would definitely do something. With my hands, my thoughts, I would surely do something productive and useful. I would not want to put working to rest at all.

And what's more, if I got very rich, how could I possibly have enough time to care about them?

9 megjegyzés:

Melly` írta...

Money does not buy happiness and you so know that! It would be nice indeed to share things with the people we love and indeed anyone.

Sometimes when I fret about money or have to go without - I remind myself that when you have large amounts of money - you also have larger money worries!

On saying all of the above.. sometimes it would be SO NICE to be able to buy the paint and plaster and more dirt for the garden THIS WEEK and not plot and plan for when I can afford it.

I love "If I where a rich man" from Fiddler on the roof. Actually I love Fiddler on the roof! My Aunt and Uncle sang "Do you love me" at their FIFTIETH wedding anniversary to each other. That was pretty special.

SzélsőFa írta...

I know that tune, I watched the musical in a theater in my hometown. That part brought tears into my eyes.

Kelly írta...

Financial security is nice, but I would never want to be rich.

SzélsőFa írta...

Myutopia,
I agree with you, too, but most people does not seem to feel the border.

Beth írta...

Money does not buy happiness, agreed. It did by me 7 acres of forest, some cleaning, and we have our own stream. I should take pictures for you.

I will say one thing, more land means more work. Sometimes it's overwhelming, which makes gardening/landscaping not so much fun. I'd rather enjoy it.

SzélsőFa írta...

Oh Beth, that is one of the (perhaps few) things I admire in the USA - people can really have large pieces of land. When I was there in '91, I was astonished to see HUGE amounts of land labelled as 'private'. But also, it is two-edged: if an area is private, it is closed but for one person/family. If it is public, anyone can enjoy it.
Re:photos: YES, please!

SzélsőFa írta...

I doubt larger land equals more work. It depends on what standard and what type of management the owner has. A forest for example should not require much work. A meadow also. A fertilized and irrigated horticultural area on the other hand offers a wide variety and huge amount of tasks.

keda írta...

i would do exactly the same as you!! wow! except the eye thing... my eyes are fine. so i have one more to play with ;)

good meme. and sure money can't buy happiness.. but it can help A LOT. and it can spread the happiness wider to others. and that's always a bonus.

SzélsőFa írta...

Keda, thanks for visiting me, dsepite all the things now around you...it might to read silly memes like these... and I'm glad we share so much intentions if we ever got stinkingly rich ::)