január 28, 2007

wonders of caves


UPDATE: Now we all can spot the polar bear. The photo was made on January 27, in one of the caves of Budapest. According to experts, Budapest has so many caves underneath the city that it makes it the capital of caves, too. (Budapest is the capital of Hungary.)
This cave is called the 'Szemlőhegyi-barlang' (The cave of the Szemlő hill). The temperature is a perennial 12 degrees centigrade. The air is so clean and full of moist that it is suitable to cure asthma and other diseases of the respiratory system.



According to the international definition, these kind of stone formations are called 'popcorn-stones'. Hungarian scientist however, call these pea-stones, or cauliflower-stones. We walked for an hour among these beauties. Artificial light makes the stones even more wonderful. (and visible, because othervise there is totally dark inside here).


4 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Oh my! I never KNEW Budapest had caves at all, let alone these amazing formations! I can't see the polar bear - I've squinted and squinted. Where is he? How amazing! These caves make me think of doorways to other realities, magic realms.

Névtelen írta...

The shadow is of the actual bear shape? The body coming back to the left?

Are the Budapest Caves near where you live? I aim to read your blog more fully as soon as I have heaps of time so I can enjoy it properly.

The Australia Day holiday usually has plenty of organised events - and many friends have BBQ's - this year I did NOTHING... out of choice - and I do look forward to reading about your holidays.

SzélsőFa írta...

Re: finding the polar bear: I'm afraid I will have to post another picture where the bear is circled. I think it is easier to notice when you're right there. a photo is just a two-dimensional simple image.

To Anniina:
If you ever come over here, we might wander into one (or two) of these caves....

To Melly:
Thanks for being here for the first time!
Budapest is some 30 kms away from where I live. To visit the caves, we travelled about 2 hours with means of public transport.
I also hope to give information about our holidays. The latest I covered are Christmas customs (you might want to dig the archives for the entries) and about the 20 August.
Thanks for coming!

Névtelen írta...

Oh NOW I see the bear! Wow that is beautiful!! Yes, I'd absolutely love to go see the caves if/when I ever come visit.