október 17, 2007

I have a family, I am handicapped

TOTALLY UPDATED VERSION. To ELLO!!!I know of a women's organization (I have just quitted membership today, a very sad and political story, nevermind). For this year, they are organizing consciousness-raising events/lectured/gatherings for their members and for anyone interested.
Each month the subject is a group of people that is in some way handicapped in today's society. In January, it was the 'country-people'. (For those who are unfamiliar with the Hungarian state of events these days, it means pheasants and other poor people outside the cities.)
In February and March, it was I don't know.
In April, it was the environmentalists. Do check back to see my opinion about that event. Reference and links in the paragraph below.
Also, I'd like to call Ello's attention to the comment I left on her site re: Al Gore and the Nobel Prize for Peace. Yes, I am one of those lunatics.
In May, it was 'women' - we all know how disabled they/we are: Lower wages for the same job to name the most obvious one.
And this is October and the theme is 'families'.
My hypothesis is that 'family' is a disability.
It is TOTALLY WRONG in every sense, but we have to face the truth.
You must name the beast to be able to tame it, right?
So, this is the new project I'm working on.

The last project I wanted to make was about the state of the environment. This went off, for various reasons. I think I was too crazy about the issue, while my partner-to-be thought a moderate (read nothing really shocking) lecture would just as do. As I firmly believe that nothing shocking is shocking enough when it comes to saving the Earth, I quitted. Well, my partner-to-be dumped me. That was all the better for the two of us.

Now, the main focus is on the family.

I have no troubles seeing 'family' as a unit in danger, as a hindrance in nowadays' hustle.
This time, there are 3 of us doing the topic.

I imagine to have an interactual lecture, to make the listeners think and inter-act with each other.
So far, I have come up with the following ideas:
- in the Hungarian, the word that means 'root' has become a pejorative. Dumb, slow-witted people are often called 'root'.

Before going further, I pray for your opinion:
How is it related to the subject?
Is it a bad or a negligible phenomenon in the language?
Any other opinions?



Photos depict my children on 7 October 2007.

Below is a videoclip, with two songs of the Hungarian band called Kormorán. The band uses traditional elements of folk music and folk instruments as well.



10 megjegyzés:

steve on the slow train írta...

I enjoyed the music. A few years ago, my family wore out some CDs by Kalyi Jag--just played them over and over. I just looked up Kalyi Jag on Google and I'm glad to see they're still playing. Some of their songs were in Romany. The clerk at the local Borders bookstore (she was a student at Notre Dame) had studied Sanskrit and said she could understand some of the words--the languages were that close.

Ello - Ellen Oh írta...

Szelsofa, I need a little more information on how you will address your topic to be of any help. Can you give us a little more insight on the argument you will make on this subject?

SzélsőFa írta...

Steve,

I know Kaly Jag, but I'll have to check their music on YouTube, for, believe it or not, I don't know what it is like...
Sanskrit, oh yes.
Some old Sumer inscriptions are also legible by using ancient Hungarian runes, I've heard...


Ello, anymore questions?
And yes, please, I'm looking for your opinion in this matter!

Névtelen írta...

I'm with Ello. I'm not quiet sure how you are tying the word "root" to your topic. Are you comparing roots (i.e., trees) to families? Are you then going to deal with the question of whether Hungarians view the connection among family members (i.e., roots) as foolish?

SzélsőFa írta...
Ezt a megjegyzést eltávolította a szerző.
SzélsőFa írta...

okay.
I'm givinig up and will write a totally new post.
I thought it was a clear idea but now I see that people see the same thing differently.
Thanks God we are made different!

steve on the slow train írta...

Szelsofa, can you tell us a little more about Volt apam, Volt anyam? I watched another YouTube video of this song http://youtube.com/watch?v=NNLwBfmPCow
(I hope this link works.) and there were films of what looked like Fascist Hungary in the 1930s, a representation of the Crown of St. Stephen, and maps. The comments seem to be about Hungary's loss of part of Transylvania to Romania--was this after the 1919 revolution? In the video you show, the lead singer is in tears and Hungarian flags are waving in the audience. It's obviously a very powerful song.

SzélsőFa írta...

The link works.
WOW Steve, this is a wonderful rendition of the song.
I found the lyrics to the song and I will translate it to you in another post, soon.
I will add this very YouTube video and will explain the photos.
But one thing first:
those are NOT fascist.
And yes Trianon happened in 1920.

steve on the slow train írta...

Szelsofa--I'm looking forward to your post. I apologize if I offended you by mentioning fascism. I was referring to only one part of the YouTube video, which showed beautiful young women in traditional dress cheering the troops. The clip had a Leni Riefenstahl feel to it, and both the film quality and the military uniforms appeared to be later than 1920. In the timeline to the book, The Fascist Tradition" (New York: Harper and Row, 1967), John Weiss writes:

"1932--The Great Depression put in power Gyula Gombos (1896-1936), an admirer of Hitler and Mussolini and an outspoken Fascist. He replaced Count Bethlen, and, forgetting his earlier calls for land reform, pursued the goals of unity with Italy and Germany in pursuit of Hungary's lost territories by war. He was well controlled by [Admiral Nicholas] Horthy who insisted that Gombos drop his leftism."

That's what I thought the troop review might have referred to. In any case, I didn't mean that the YouTube video or the song was fascistic.

Weiss, by the way, believes fascism failed in Hungary because Horthy was really controlling the government.

My home state of Indiana was actually run by the Ku Klux Klan during the early 1920s, so I'm not coming from a place with an unblemished past, either.

SzélsőFa írta...

Steve,
I'll have to ask my husband about those questions of yours abour our history.
You do not have to worry about that KKK-history of your state. If you don't follow them (which I suspect to be the case) then you should not feel ashamed at all.
I got really angry for example when all people can thing of upon seeing someone from Germany is Hitler.
That is prejudice in a wrong way.

So, I'll ask DH about Horthy and all :)