október 04, 2007

What is life is like on 6 October



This time, Church Lady polled us on our view of life....

Check the site for some funny insights.
Here are my versions.


- Life is like the coming and going of seasons. Only that spring with all its buds and lovely scents and also summer, with all those juicy fruits last much shorter than winter, when you have to do everything you can to protect you from freezing to death.


- Life is like dreaming. Faintly, deep within, you know of a much stronger reality, but everything around you seems to make you forget about it.


I admit, these reflect my present state of being.
But honestly, I'm thinking of flipping the bird towards depression.
I'm sick of it.
I'm trying to get rid of it.
All possible means come to my head.

Like doing a 'survival trip' this Saturday, when participants has to walk 20 kms. The trip goes partly within the small town, but basically it's about touring the forests and hills around it.

---

This is a memorial tour in rememberance of 6 October.

October 6 is one of our national holidays.
Hungarians fought a great Revolution and War of Independence between 1848 and 1849. There were enthusiastic peagants and well-kept soldiers in our troops. Part of the fame of the Hungarian 'husars' is dating back to that period. They fought for freedom.
The opposite side, the Austrian army was at the verge of loosing the war, when, out of the sudden they let the Russian army in.
The fresh foreign soldiers easily broke our resistance.
The war was lost.
But the horror did not end here.
To make sure that no such rebel would take place in the foreseeable future, all the 13 generals were executed in the town of Arad, Transsylvania.

Some of them were hung, some shot.
As an extra treat, the Prime Minister of the time was also executed.
Each year on 6 October, good Hungarians remember the 'Arad Thirteen', the lost case of the war of independence, the way they were captured and killed.

Life moves on and we do not mourn over the loss for long. But we do stop and bow our heads. It is our duty to do so.

9 megjegyzés:

Ello - Ellen Oh írta...

Who is that lapa guy? I got a comment from him too. Must be a spammer!

This is a great post on Hungarian history. Fascinating! I am a huge history nut so I would love to read more about any kernels of wisdom you wish to dispense!

SzélsőFa írta...

Ello,

this must be a spammer. I'm deleting his comment.

RE:History - I've already written a few pieces on our History. Those are labelled either 'Hungarian' or 'traditions'.

Beth írta...

So coincidental. Lastnight on Jeopardy (American trivia TV game show), one of the questions was about the Husars. Both my husband and I got it wrong. I know very little about history, Hungarian or otherwise. It's like I have a mental block for retaining it. Wish it weren't so.

I saw the answer was heavy rain. I misunderstood the scrambled word quiz. I thought you just had to make two words from the letters, NOT make only two words without using the letters twice. Duh to me!

I'm doing all this manual labor outside, but wanted to be sure to stop by your blog before I disappeared for a bit.

Névtelen írta...

Great post about Hungarian history. Those revolutionaries sound very brave.

Good luck with the "survival trip". A tour of the forest and hills sounds nice.

SzélsőFa írta...

Beth,

I'm sorry I was not really clear about the rules...
Thanks for dropping in before all that work you do outside. Would you care to write a post about those work, please?

Strugglingwriter,

yes those were the men! Our country is in need of hundredds of those.
Well, it's not exactly a survival trip, but considering the lack of similar trips in recent times of my life, it might still prove a survival trip.

Névtelen írta...

Thanks for the insight into your nation's identity. October 6th...I'll remember.

SzélsőFa írta...

I am grateful Jason to have one more, dedicated heart by our case, by the case of freedom over oppression, justice over official malpractice.
History is one of our best teacher, nature, being the first, of course :)

steve on the slow train írta...

Thank you for reminding your readers of the 1848 revolution in Hungary. As you know, that year there were failed revolutions all over Europe. America gained from them, as thousands of well-educated Germans, Czechs,and Hungarians came to our shores.

I know that Lajos Kossuth, whose role in the revolution was confusing, toured the United States, and was welcomed as a hero. In my former home state of Iowa, there is a Kossuth County (though they pronounce it Ko-sooth.

SzélsőFa írta...

Hi Steve,

if they pronounce it like that, they do it just right :-P
Kossuth County? wow, that is impressive.
There must have been quite a lot of Hungarians to get that name through!