október 26, 2007

The event on family

Here's our draft for the evening - as you might or might not remember, I have company, two other mothers. My parts are modules 2, 4, 6 and 7.
---
1. Introduction of the speakers and, should there be anyone outside of the women's organization, of the organization itself. Chances are that the evening will be held 'only' for the members. I don't really mind that, though. We are the most interested parties, aren't we?
---
2a. An introduction of the subject itself. What do we think a family is? What are its roles? What does it mean to us? I'm thinking of starting this module by showing drawings of 5-graders. Guess what. I asked the head of my son's class to prepare some drawings for the event, for me. She was more than willing to co-operate, saying that schools make their pupils make drawings of families. What a great luck:) A typical 5-grader in Hungary is 11 years old.
---
2b. Conversation about how are the original roles fulfilled, what is dysfunctional and why. I'd like to emphasize the effect of stress, working overtime, bank loans and ethics. Although to some it might seem obvious, I do NOT wish to enter the subject of religion.
---
3. Interesting facts about family as a unit. It will be done by my partner, D. I guess she will bring up issues like the amazingly high number of divorces and singles, the possibilities of working from home, shared and part-time jobs.
---
4. A debate on the size of the family. As I have mentioned earlier, family have meant the co-living of at least three (3) generations. Now it's almost completely gone. Grandparents, for most of the case are either working or too old to help, or are living in a different town. Still, from time to time, there is a chance for the family to re-unite. Living with the old has many pros and cons. I am to use a special method I've heard about somewhere. It goes like this. The group is split into two subgroups: one pro, one against. They would gather their reasons and make a nice speach for and against co-living. When finished their roles flip. The arguments used before are NOT allowed to be recycled. I hope it will spice up the athmosphere a bit :)
---
5. A quiz on facts and things about living in a family. I'm not really familiar with this module. This will be done by K, the 3rd partner.
---
6. Towards the end of the evening I'd like to return to module 2b., only this time we'd be focusing on solutions. I'd also like to hear the audience's opinion and suggestions. This is where the most questions and reasoning might come. It will be really long and fairly short as well. I'll see how it goes.
---
7. The end would be a poem, or rather, 3 poems read by each of the 3 speakers. The idea is to have a constructive ending. The evening will be too much focused on how dysfunctional and out-of-place family is, so it is there to give a promise at the end. I still don't know which poem will I be reading...I'm searching!
---
What do you think? Any suggestions?
---

4 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Thanks sounds very thought out and well planned. It seems like it will make for an interesting evening.

SzélsőFa írta...
Ezt a megjegyzést eltávolította a szerző.
SzélsőFa írta...

I also hope it will turn out for good.

Ello - Ellen Oh írta...

I like the debate aspect of this! This is how I run alot of my classes. Just remember, you have to take in to consideration the group dymanics, if you have a very quiet crowd, this doesn't work well. So make sure you have loud opinionated people in the group! Good luck!