szeptember 23, 2006

again, this is political

This day my husband took our kids and a friend and her two kids and headed off for a peaceful demonstration to Budapest. This time there were families protesting against the present government. Speakers followed each other, and all people wore white t-shirts or blouses. This white is to symbolize the purity of mind and speach, as compared to the PM's calling the country a whore. (This is something no moral person can ever digest. )
So, we took the kids partly because we wanted to show them that a protest does not necessarily involves vandalism as they see on tv, as the media is not always showing the real events. We took the kids to teach them what a peaceful demonstration is about. To give them some political education, so as to say. That they have the right to go peacefully on the streets as that is what people do these days.
What CNN shows is just a tip of the iceberg. Where 20,000 angry people gather, there will always be ones that are more aggressive and less intelligent than the others.
I've heard that some 100 people broke into the building of the state television and also, that they were an organized group of people, acting on behalf of someone. This someone was active politician during the past era. This fact was revealed by an independent media, called Echo Tv. Now this media was stopped, rendered silent, dismissed, wiped away, whatever.
I am sorry to inform you about these events.
These people on the streets are writing history. Or I hope that they are. My heart is with them.

7 megjegyzés:

LanternLight írta...

In any large crowd, you'll always get a few yobs looking for a fight.

SzélsőFa írta...

Absolutely.
The problem is when the left-winged media starts saying that this demonstration is a mere action of hooligans and vandalism is the main characteristic of the event. The media makes the national-right-whatever wing a scapegoat for all the bad things that accompany such events.

SzélsőFa írta...

Dear Saz, thanks for your sympathy. I's really good to know that people from th eother side of the world can understand the meaning behind the protest and the necessity of these actions. Thank you.
Well, unfortunately, according to latest news, these will not get the results as we hoped.

The Dog of Freetown írta...

I've been following events closely with you in mind. Perhaps I even saw you on TV. The press coverage here seems to be dying down a little bit now - I hope it doesn't drop off the media radar.

SzélsőFa írta...

Well, Kieran, I understand that events of a foreign country do not stay long in the middle of attention for long. I think it's natural. For any update, you might just ask me... or see the Jay beak wide open link on the right coloumn, or check www.hirtv.hu address.
Thank you too, for the good vibes - though I was not on the streets. not this time, but my kids and husband were. So, it was almost me :)

Sarah Jane írta...

I have been thinking of you and wondering when I would hear your voice on the politics side of things. I was trying to be mindful that you hadn't brought any of it up yet, but of course I thought of you first when I heard the news.

Good for you for bringing the family to a protest. I know it's hard to judge what a crowd will be like, and there's usually a "family-protest" planned so that the more aggressive can plan something else that leaves the kids out of any police-protestor violence. Was that the case there? Did people organize this one with that specifically in mind, and do you mean to say that the aggressive people came anyway and spoiled the event?

My thoughts are with you hon.

SzélsőFa írta...

Hello Butwearesmall,
I think bringing up politics was inevitable, considering my interest in the fate of our nation. I simply do not wish to NOT speak about them here anymore.

Re: the events. I think the basic idea was a quiet protest, but then aggressive people are always at hand. And as I've written somewhere this time many of them were HIRED by the socialists to SPOIL the event. Shit.