július 19, 2006

down under and below

I am unsure about my mental capacities: do I have the so-called writers' block or is it just that I am not in one of those black-hole days anymore (or, at least, not at this present moment). But more importantly, I am constantly surrounded by my kids. I don't seem to have any quiet moments of relaxation. Meditation or out-of-body experiences? Forget about it.
But first of all, I'd like to thank again for your kind comments - I mean, for those who comment and who comment kindly, of course. Kieran's nice words reached me minutes before setting off to our family journey and I felt lucky. Lucky, is not the right word - I felt as if I had been hugged or been given a nice (HOT) tea - as you know I'm a masochist when it comes to tea :)
I came accross this site today. I was sitting in front of my monitor and kept grasping for air for a minute. I did not realize Marlo Morgan's work would be of any harm to the Aborigines. In fact, I was seriously planning to use it in teaching my kids. I thought the journey she wrote about WAS fabricated, or at least, partly un-true. But still, the lesson the book taught me that these people are far more wise and able than we (the white people ever considered) and that the world has many things to learn from these desert-people. Their approach to nature, to fate and so on. I thought Marlo Morgan's book is an approach to understand these people, and to our world in general. I never thought of any potential drawbacks of such a book.
So I was really surprised at seeing such an uproar from those aboriginal people. I trust them and believe them when they find MM outrageous and such - but the funny thing's that my deep trust in Aboriginal people is seriously due to MM's work.
What do you think? Have you read the original book and/or the Aboriginal Campaign?
Bonus question: Have you seen 'The Rabbitproof Fence'?
Not yet? Go and get it to become my friend. Just kidding, but watching it is highly recommended. My kids have already seen it.
So it's your turn.

10 megjegyzés:

mr. schprock írta...

Actually, I just read a little bit of the rant in that link you provided and I think the authors of it sound a little crazy. Maybe Marlo Morgan is all right after all. I get the feeling from your post that she's doing good.

SzélsőFa írta...
Ezt a megjegyzést eltávolította a blog adminisztrátora.
SzélsőFa írta...

You know that's exactly what I felt. Shame on me, but I did not know much about Aboriginal people, besides their location and name. Then came M. Morgan and I was introduced to a wonderful world. Even if her stories are false and much of what she writes (I read two in Hungarian) is just made-up, she is able raise respect towards those people. Her books teaches us to acknowledge those who live simply and in harmony with the environment. It is a very important message that clearly comes through the book.
Most of her readers will likely not support things that would harm such people and the environment in general. What more a writer can strive for?

Cazzie!!! írta...

Hi there, I saw your entry in the comments section of Lucy's blog and I liked the sound of your place of living, much like ours here :)
I have seen the movie you speak of, I watched it when I was on night duty one night..I was on my break at the time of course! It was a very well put together movie.
I have not read the book you speak of, yet, there is a great book we read when I was at school that is a true story. Written by Sally Morgan,"MY PLACE" is the title. This is very educational for the children and adults aswell. A bit about Sally is in the link I have put here if you wish to see it. Her first novel was My Place and it was used throughout all schools in Australia. She has written a few children's books and continues to paint to tell stories aswell. Aboriginal people are especially good at telling and acting out stories.
http://www.abc.net.au/btn/australians/morgan.htm

SzélsőFa írta...

Hi Cazzie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for visiting my place here in the Internet. I'll likely visit yours before very long :)
Thanks for the link. Sally's history is a sad and moving one. I read the whole page and felt the same sorrow for her as I did for the kids in the film Rabbitproof fence. But hope was along her way and she is now doing what she's best at.

Névtelen írta...

Hi! Wanted to stop and say you have a great blog -- very interesting stuff -- and to say thanks for always visiting me. I'm going to stick around and read some more, if that's okay!

SzélsőFa írta...

Wordnerd,
thanks for your kind words.
It's quite okay to stick around and read my writing - if you can handle my thoughts :)))
At present I don't seem to have any, for that matter.

Bobealia... írta...

If you are getting mean comments that you don't like, you can enable the comment moderator in your preferences.

SzélsőFa írta...
Ezt a megjegyzést eltávolította a blog adminisztrátora.
SzélsőFa írta...

Sure, Bobelia, I would delete mean or rude comments, but I don't think I would deprive anyone from commenting, just because of a bored lunatic. So far the comments I recieve are kind and helpful. and I am grateful for all of you.