augusztus 05, 2007

a small break


Dear All,

we have reached a phase in our home's reconstruction, where every moment counts.
We dismantle parts of the old house to let room for the new one. How interesting this concept is, isn't it?
It involves days of working, packing, unpacking, loading and unloading.
Lots of getting dirty, oily and tired. TIRED.
It will probably involve some days' absence on my part - with a due leave.

I will probably have time to check back once in a while, though.

I think will be back with winners' announcement on the 'what's this' contest' - until that, feel free to cast you guesses and tread 'the path' - poke up the archives, if that's what you feel like doing.
Take care, smile often ... and feel gratitude for the little things you have.



Update:

The writing contest has ended. None of the entries I liked made it into the winners and except one or two, those who did, ehm, were not my favourites. Never near to those I liked. I did have a hard time choosing my fives for the 'Readers' Choice award. My favourites were - in no particular order:

# 60

# 36

# 12

# 43

# 22

# 59

and also, I liked #45, #55, #69, #73, #66 and I could name like, five or six more that really captured my imagination. Most of those I picked as my favourites are peaceful, some of them are narrated by animals themselves. Some of them are about human relationships, some about natural elements, meditation, peaceful dying...all quiet and nice.

I like Jason's site b/c of similar reasons. His poems and photograhy are devoid of aggression, modern day technology, sick people, unnecessary nudity or harrassment of any kind. Clarity. Like the title itself suggests. Like a deep breath of night air after a humid day in the city. In short, I'm shocked. That's all.

To make things clear: I did take part, and my not winning has nothing to do with my rant. I am not a native speaker and my work is sometime lame, as someone pointed out, without further reasoning. If she's listening, she might add some, belated constructive comments...?

Again, my not winning is okay with me. Of course I don't write like native speakers. I took part, enjoyed it enormously, it really did inspire me all the way. I loved it and I will be always thankful for Jason and for the writing community.

It's the selection (both Jason's and readers') that puzzles me so.

If anyone is capable of giving me some explanation, other than 'you just would not understand', please shed some light into this darkness.

12 megjegyzés:

Lucy írta...

You will be reconstruction?
Wow, it is very nice.
By the way, I want to have a new house.
But my apartment is near a station.
It is very nice except be small.
I can't buy a new house which is near stations.
We usually go to somewhere by trains.

BreadBox írta...

That's an interesting idea, and one that we are considering for some time in the future --- but not until we can afford to do it right! We want to build upwards, putting in extra bedrooms for when the children are bigger...
Michele sent me to say hello!
N.

Anne írta...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Good luck on the building, hopefully the dust will settle soon.

SzélsőFa írta...

Lucy,

yes, we are adding two large rooms to the present house.
Living next to a train station is really comfortable - if you use the train to go to work for example.

Breadbox,
we actually did built the new part over the old one. I mean around some parts of the old one. Those parts are to be demolished - brick by brick to avoid very much dust...
We do it on our own, with the help of our parents, God bless them for being alive!!!

Anne,
thanks for the good wishes.

Beth írta...

Szelsofa, I'm doing the same thing you are doing. We're breaking down, building on, you name it. It is a MESS at times, but when one thing gets finished it's like, "Aaaaaahhh, finally!"

SzélsőFa írta...

Speaking of parallell universes, heh?

Névtelen írta...

SzélsőFa, my contests are open to all styles of writing and all genres. To favor one kind of story over the other would be unfair, in my opinion.

As I described in the rules, my judging is highly weighted toward technical writing skill. After that, I judge the originality and impact of the story captured in 250 words. I am utterly blind to the subject of the story. For that reason, whether the focus is violence or murder or any of the other elements is irrelevant to me. People like all sorts of stories, and I give them equal opporunity to shine.

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you Jason, for makig it clear. This was about the answer I expected.
Style, writing skills are clearly important. I understand that to a certain point they outshine the subject. The HOW can be more important than the WHAT, I see it in your the reasoning.

I'm seeing it better now and I'm not an inch happier...
Thanks again.

Névtelen írta...

SzélsőFa - interesting thoughts on the contest and thanks for stopping by my site.

I'm of course grateful to Jason for the site and the contest, but I have feelings similar to yours. I would probably put more weight on the story and theme and less on technical writing skill. That's just me, though.

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you, StrugglingWriter.
I am also thankful for Jason - I learned a lot. about writing, about word count limit, about myself.
I'm really glad however, that we had similar thoughts about the outcome.

Bernita írta...

Thank you, Szelsofa, for stopping by my blog.
I am happy you liked my contribution.

SzélsőFa írta...

I really did :)