augusztus 08, 2007

getting a life


I think I stopped being silently obsessive about something I have no access to. Thanks StrugglingWriter, Bernita and Jason, for their sympathy, encouragement, understanding and kind explanation and similar thoughts (S.W.)
I got so overly irritated and disturbed by the disillusionment I felt on Monday evening at a website I otherwise treat with respect and almost, adorement, that it affected my relationship with real-life people. Noone deserves it, neither does my relationship.

Allright, I am also troubled by the renovation of our house. Time has started to squeeze.
My life at the moment:

Currently I'm reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.
Also I'm reading many blogs... :)

I'm writing, whenever I have time and inspiration, the short story I started in February.

As a paid job, I'm working on a translation of an essay on plant protection, it'as about 10 pages.

5 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Good luck with the short story and the renovation.

Lucy írta...

Thank you for readin my blog.

Névtelen írta...

I'm glad that you are working on a larger project. I wish you the best with it.

I'm sorry that you were so negatively affected by the contest. My writing will always be my writing. My perspectives and emotions will continue to be the focus of The Clarity of Night.

Contests are another matter, however. In those, I want writers to feel free to express any thought or emotion which strikes them. What I'm judging is did they make it work. Did they make it live. That is the supreme skill. The best idea will be empty if it doesn't leap off the page and capture the reader.

I'm sorry I disappointed you, but I stand by these principles and have always been clear about my approach. I hope you also take into account that for all the work and attention I give these contests, I have to endure the disapproval at the end. Yet, I still do them, because I believe the good they accomplish outweighs the negative.

Bernita írta...

Experience provides context.
One learns by doing is as true in writing as any other venture.

SzélsőFa írta...

StruglingWriter,
thanks for the encouragment. I need it :) The house is in pieces, perhaps I'll post some photo to amuse/horrify my readers ;-P

Lucy,
that's my pleasure. What you write is interesting.

Jason,
thanks again for checking in.
Within the limits of a comments section, I discussed the outcome with Bernita Harris.
She reassured me that earlier contests had positive and upbeat feeling about them and I understand that sometimes it's up sometimes it's down. Positive and negative things chase one after the other. That's ok. Also she clearly pointed out (what you also implied) that the morality of a story has nothing to do with its accomplishment. No matter how uplifting a story is, if it comes out dull, it's not worth it.
To me it seems I was in a mood for a positive energy, perhaps b/c our house is literally in pieces, perhaps b/c I'm heading some jobhunting this September, perhaps the morality level I accept is higher than for normal people. Perhaps I was being sensitive.
And no way that I do not acknowledge your work, don't get hurt, please. I do value your work in and around the competition and remember, the site I referred to is the one I 'treat with respect and almost, adorement'
*winks*
I'd gladly appriciate if you kept visiting this site and my other one, where I debate over my (not)writing the short page. It's called thecoppermoonproject - I do think you have been there before :)