Pre-face: I wrote this on 8-10 March, but the inspiration was deeper within. Everytime I see a tree cut out for no particular reason (building new houses, making a parking lot clear included) I mourn over the loss. We, as many other languages in the world call the ecologically concerned greens. We, probably unlike some other languages have a special term for a special shade of green. Imagine a strong and bright, yet incredibly dark green. We say 'méregzöld', or 'haragoszöld', which literally translates into 'angry green' or 'green with a venom'. We do NOT apply this to angry environmentalists, though. But count me as one.
We all saw it coming
Big house, fancy-house
Lots of expensive architecture
Roll-on grass and sprinkler heads
Comfort and convenience
We all saw it coming
Until just one day
A man climbed up the tree and begun killing it

We all saw it coming
Big house, fancy-house
Lots of expensive architecture
Roll-on grass and sprinkler heads
Comfort and convenience
We all saw it coming
Until just one day
A man climbed up the tree and begun killing it
The tree that used to
Fill the spring air with a heavy scent
It used to caress our eyes with her white and pink blossoms
And also it casted shadow in the mid-summer heat
Supplid us with chestnuts, big and small to gather and treasure and
A kaleidoscopic shower of leaves in the fall
She gave it abundantly, not asking for whom it may concern
She gave herself so generously
For anyone with an eye and a heart to accept
And now she'll be gone
For the men working up on her body are strong and brave
For man is strong and brave
And he who conquers nature is a sure winner
And we, the walkers by just look and look away
Denying our lover and mother
Wouldn't it be wiser to shake that man off the tree
Hey, you're killing me - hear him shouting in frantic
And hey, it's you who're killing me
And my friend, and my mother
Wouldn't it be so wise to do this?
And still we walk away and look away
And it is not that man that does the harm
It is us
For we play safe and kill our sisters and brothers
we kill ourselves
11 megjegyzés:
Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. Where I last lived, a few houses down the house was sold and the new owners decided to build a new house on the plot. They took out every single tree on that lot - we're talking over 20 trees, each of which was around 80 yrs old. The plot looked ravaged and raped after that - and the corpses of the trees lay by the roadside for a long time. I was so angry I almost went over to beat people up. Needless to say, I never made any effort to get to know those tree-murderers. It's been 2.5 yrs now, and I haven't lived there in 2 yrs, but thinking about it still today makes me want to drive over and beat people up.
Actually, your post made me think I should post the poem I wrote on that occasion. I'll go type it up now for you.
Thank you Anniina for making me not feeling alone anymore in these situations. I had to write this out b/c these situations physically hurt me. Apart from my husband and before you let me know, I knew no-one who would supported me. And that is SAD.
Alice Walker, whom I mentioned to you earlier re:FGM is a big believer in a world-soul that resides in everything living... I think the book I'm thinking about in particular in this case is "The Temple of My Familiar." She is also an activist for several causes, and has published books of essays. I'll go through and find the essay I'm thinking about and maybe post part of it on the AW website.
Sorry, I've been really busy with translating this weekend, I promise I'll try to find it tomorrow.
That's allright Anniina, I'm not hurrying you :)
I have many things to do this Monday, so I'll be patient.
Finally I am making my way over here again - and this post just grabbed me. Your poem is so powerful! I feel that way, and I feel saddened by the powerlessness I feel when I see this happening. For I know I am part of the problem.
I understand what you are saying about feeling the spirit of the trees. I also can't watch violence or people getting physically hurt (like the "funny" home videos) on TV because I feel pain in the body parts that the people hurt. It is a weird thing, I don't know if others experience that.
I think many of us experience the "pain" at watching anything else suffer.
I also think compassion is a damn good quality.
Dear Tia and Melly,
I am thankful for having found such compassionate and caring persons as friends....
And I'm so glad you keep visiting me :)
thanks for giving me the link direct to this poem. Its very true and insightful. We're all guilty when we look away and let someone destroy part of nature.
I would also recommend Alice Walker's novel Templ of my Familiar, its wonderful, one of my favourite ever books. I'll be reading it again quite soon...
I will surely check that book. Thanks for dropping in to read my thoughts.
Megjegyzés küldése