március 12, 2007

how did she know?

Two days ago I was working in the kitchen. My kids were playing in the living room. At one moment I heard Rozi (my daughter, aged 7) laughing. I wanted to find out the reason for her giggles, so I approached them.
Rozi (showing the source of fun to her older brother): Read this and you'll see.
Me (perplexed, for she obviously can NOT read, well a few letters here and there, but...she finds fun in something that needs reading??? - curiosity drew me even closer) .
Rozi (coping with giggles):But see, it reads Ru-ma-ni-ya, but the 'y' has been left out...

4 megjegyzés:

Bobealia... írta...

I don't get it.??

SzélsőFa írta...

Oh, I'm sorry, Bobealia.
I'm trying to re-phrase it.

I was surprised to hear that Rozi could read. At age 7 about 50% of Hungarian kids still do NOT attend school - not b/c they are retarded, it's a habit to take kids late to school.
So, I hear her reading.

She read out the name of the country: Rumania. Which, if you pronounce it, contains a 'y'-like consonant. Rozi thought that this y should have been in the writing, too. She thought those who wrote it had let it out. She missed the y from the written word, for she heard it when she said the word Rumania.

I hope this helps!!

I think it is funny b/c she was looking for something that is NOT there. She was looking for the non-present 'y' in the word. for me, it is funny - ut perhaps it is not funny for somebody else....

Other readers, pls?

Bobealia... írta...

Wow, then she's smart. I remember the day when I was 5 when I realized that LMNO was more than one letter... Similar, yes?

SzélsőFa írta...

Yes, similar.
but...uhm...was or rather, were LMNO as in the alphabet song?