Enjoy the seemingly endless silvery surface and the pattern of coulds above. I wish I was there right now. Is it me, being so obsessed with what I see and imagine here in this picture or you find it just as much amazing, too?
So, the story of the Tapolca cave goes like this: A local man back in 1903 wanted to burrow a well in his property. Surprise, surprise, he found the cave! Let me introduce it to you - with the help of some internet-based material.
This is our family, my husband at the oars in a white tshirt, two boys behind (one of them being mine), and at the rear end, in a blue sweater it's me...with my daughter in my leap.
Although most tunnels are created by the hot water, there are dry parts as well. The wet part is accessible by boats, the fee is not very high. One boat takes 5-6 persons and then off you go into the wild - too bad that the journey does not last more than 25 minutes. You are on your own within and under the Earth - and the water is so mind-blowingly clear - you can see the bottom, which is like 4-5 metres away.... It is said that one species of fish (Phoxinus phoxinus L.) lives here in the cave, mind you, I have not seen any. But I was overwhelmed by the desire to take off my clothes and have a good swimming inside. I did not swim however... I was not alone...
So, the cave is famous for its special climatic conditions. With its relative humidity bordering 100%, and a relatively constant 14-16 degrees centigrade annual temperature the cave is suitable for curing asthma, allergy and other respiratory diseases. One of the braches of the cave has been used as a hospital since 1925. Below is a map of the tunnel system.

The water comes partly from outside and partly from hot springs, which are located 300ms below the surface. This results in a reliably stable water temperature. Be it summer or winter, the water is 19 degrees centigrade.
The water system of the cave, at one part is connected to an 'outside' lake, called Lake Mill (Malom-tó). It's water is just as crystal clear and thus attracts visitors. Below are some duck over Malom-tó.
4 megjegyzés:
Wow!
Maybe, when I see the blue water, I feel scared. LOL
I think if I am alone, I feel crazy in caves.
I heard there are a lot of hot springs near this cave. I like springs!!
I would love to go there! I think I would have to fight claustrophobia in parts, but if the water is that warm... When we go, we should wear swimsuits underneath and go for that swim! Oh, and whoever took that swan picture: WOW. I love swans.
Lucy,
one might feel frightened in a cave, but once you overcome the bad feeling somehow, it feels great!
There are lots of hot springs in Hungary and Tapolca is one of the spring-places.
Deleted comment,
some German-speaking Anon. I don't know how these skip the word verification. Are they employ real people???
Anniina,
you really should go an see the cave. Just call me when you're coming :))
Re:swimsuits: absolutely. You know, there are only 2 boats and only 1 man in the cave. If we give him a high tip....or if we tell him you're a well-known actor taking insirations by exploring water-y caves through swimming and I'm your...PA... :) and the rest of the people of the 2 boats are crew, then it must be okay...
Just having some day-dreaming here...
Megjegyzés küldése