március 19, 2007

a short notice on the ides of March

I decided to not go to the Budapest celebration of our 1848/49 revolution. According to the news, many of those who share similar political views with me, have decided to do the same - they celebrated by not attending. Did people think it would be dangerous to go to the streets? Did they fear the terror of the police, were they deterred by the events of the last time people went to streets (October 2006) - I don't know. There were some, who spoiled the official speeches - I understand those. People are fed up with what they in the power do and with what they don't.

Still I don't like that there are strong opinions of what we don't want...AND the views towards what we DO WANT are more scattered. There are various ideas and solutions. Our forces are broken for although we agree that this is not good, there is less concensus re: what IS good.


Above is a picture taken on Kossuth tér (Kossuth Square). This is where the Parliament is and the Holy Crown of the Hungarians is housed, too. This is where the protesting took place in October 2006. The police has built a fence and now it is being demolished. Probably in the hope that there will be peace. I doubt that there will be any. It will either be a mass of silently terrorized dissatisfied people OR a violent outbreak OR both. Pessimistic, me? Whoa? What did you say? Well, I admit that more often than not, I'm pessimistic when it comes to politics.

3 megjegyzés:

LanternLight írta...

I'm pessimistic when it comes to politics.

Something we agree on :-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Too bad the thing we aggree on is not a happy and uplifting topic...

D'ya mean that's all we have in common?
Oh, we should look and try a bit harder.

LanternLight írta...

Well we're almost the same age, and we both think KD Lang rocks!