The first is a readers' group, organized by Mark. The aim (surprise, suprise!) is to read and discuss a book. The first session was about Kazuo Ishigiro's Never Let Me go, which left me quite unimpressed. The plot was sort of interesting, but the writing and escpecially the characters did not really touched me. Now we have a book I like much, much more, although I'm only on page 87. It's Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake.
This is the second book I read from M.A. - the first one was 'The Handmaid's Tale' - which was a surprise present from Anniina. I will always be thankful for her for sending me the book.
If you like reading and debating the book, I suggest you joining our reading circle. For more information, ask Mark.
And the writers' group was called upon by Jason Evans, who, from time to time organizes writing contests. He posts a photo, suggests a title and sets the world count limit. The rest is ours to figure out.
I like his poetry and photos quite much and I thought I might try entering the contest with a short piece. According to the rules of the contest I can not publish my 250- words here BEFORE the contest is over. (So in case you'd be excited about reading my entry - you'll have to be patient.)
All I can say is ... (Jason, if you happen to read this post, please stop reading from here ****) Thanks. Anyone else, just keep on reading if you please.
******
The photo is inspiring. 'Halo', the suggested title, also.
(No, Jason, you really should stop reading this entry from this line on.)
At first, I had something really nice and uplifting in my mind. Like a moral story of a sort. An illuminating one. Then something else crept in. I think the first idea was better and I might still write it later on - but I'm not really good at the style I thought would fit that first idea. The second idea is sort of good, but not that *OMG, that's really good*. I don't know. Will I rewrite totally? Will I try writing out the first idea in that particular style anyhow?
I am unsure. I have some more days to come.
Although I wrote in on 25 july, I will submit it only a day before the deadline to allow myself some more revising.
7 megjegyzés:
Alright, I stopped when you told me. :)
You're free to post the story here during the contest, but I just ask that you do it after it's up at The Clarity of Night. I'm pretty easy going with these things. I just want folks to have a good time and stretch their legs a little.
If I participate someting and there are rules, I'm sure to stick to the them - that's why rules are for.
I understand!
At the end of the post, I was just wondering about the plot my 248-word piece has without saying anything about it, and about whether I should re-write it or not without giving out any of the content.
When the contest is over AND if you're interested, I'd glady share my thoughts I wrote here with you -perhaps, in email.
Currently I am reading a Margaret Atwood, "The Penelopiad".
Glad I discovered your blog via Michele.
Thanks for the visit. I think that must be a good reading, too.
I've clearly not read enough Atwood recently -- I think that I read everything up to the Robber Bride, but since then I forgot how to read (a byproduct of having children!)
Michele sent me today,
N.
yeah, I know that. Children are against your reading, heh?
I have two myself :)
Szelsofa! I did visit you! Up above, as BreadBox!
N.
Megjegyzés küldése