These days we have been working hard on making the house-building project move forward a bit. Quite a bit, I'd say.
My husband was putting isolation panels on the surface of the walls from the outside. This is the part of our house that was built during the fall of 2005, by those two precious hands of him. .jpg)
I was giving protection treatment to the windows yet to be installed. Photographed is one of the smallest windows. These are untreated, with raw plain wood windows, although the glass is double, with an airless space in between the 4mm-thick glasses.
.jpg)
I was giving protection treatment to the windows yet to be installed. Photographed is one of the smallest windows. These are untreated, with raw plain wood windows, although the glass is double, with an airless space in between the 4mm-thick glasses.
We give the wood the traditional treatment: first comes the copper-sulphate, which is against fungal infection. This gives a nice blue-ish color to the wood. Unfortunately, said sulphate is in a solution of ammonia. Coughs, anyone? This material goes right into your eyes and seems to go out through your ears. Arrgh. Yet, I liked it - for the change it made to the wood. It emphasizes the veins and gives an overall '50yo-looking' feeling to it. In this picture, I start the process at the down right corner of the window. Notice the brush's tip. The second part of wood protection (NOT pictured) is the flax-seed oil. This phase is much easier, though less beautiful.
7 megjegyzés:
Cool treatment! Good luck on the house progress!
Most interesting... and to me unusual? Can't wait to see more!
To Bruce,
I like this treatment myself, too!
To Melly,
yes it is not very coomn nowadays. People just buy pre-treated wood, or rather, buy ready-to-install windows. People know less and less about their direct surroundings, while gathering more and more (useless?!) information about far away places and events.
Isn't it strange and awful?
Looking very good.
I like that the two of you are building it together.
Hello Jason,
I like the look, too! That's one of the reasons we're treating the wood this way.
And yes, building and renovating our house is a project we do together.
Sometimes it seems a neverending one, though...
...that's a hard question to answer. The US, Georgia especially, seems to really dislike the fact that people want to homeschool their kids (the school systems in Georgia ranked 50th out of 50 last year) so they make it really hard for you to get a hold of the materials that you need to have. Fortunately for me my mom works for the school system so she has friends that can help me out some. It's hard though.
Buggers, I wouldn't have thought that a *clever* government would do anything AGAINST proper education.
Wait, I said 'clever'.
Now I understand.
Megjegyzés küldése