This one goes out to Leigh. And to whoever else is interested in the homeschooling of my son. Also included: my rough notes on modern-day medicine.
Leigh asked me why I had to home-school my son.
My son has quite a history. At the middle of his fourth year he was in his fourth class, which, considering we never moved anywhere in these four years, is a bit too much for an average children. Which he is, of course, not.
He's alert, almost all the time in seek of something to occupy his mind. He's bright and when he's interested, he gathers information quickly. When he's not, nothing seems to be able to move him. That is what I see the core of problems.
Some say he's got AD/HDD (attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder) - no professional proof of that. We did not let him undergo tests to either prove or disprove this condition. Basically b/c I did not see any advantage of him being labelled as such. In Hungary, it is almost impossible to find a special school for these kids and at 'normal' schools labelled kids have misfortunate lives. Although the school he's now in advertises to provide a special treatment for ad/hdd kids, which involves a therapy with an expert, I have never seen the evidence of actual treatments, or rather put it this way, therapeutic sessions.The second reason I rejected him having labelled is the pressure towards medication.
While many of my readers, residing anywhere in the world, may find taking medications just as easy and mundane as taking out the garbage bin or doing the laundry, for us, this is not the case. By 'us', I referred to my family. We do not take painkillers, I am not on the contraceptive pill as well. I have a firm belief that there are other, more natural ways to find remedy when it is needed.
Some of my son's classmates are on constant medication - be it Ritalin or anything else... I shrug at the mere idea of giving a drug to my son that ALTERS, INFLUENCES him.
I wish to solve the problem, if there is a problem at all, without artificial things.
I refrain from telling my opinion about modern day medicine - I bet you guess it must be somewhere between low and very-very low.
Schooling Story.
He started his first year in School 1.
Soon after starting school he was bullied, which he endured for a while, but broke out and became aggressive after a while. Soon he showed signs of aggressivity even when he was not hurted. He lost his interest in studying and became obsessed with kids being aggressive against him. His failed to perform up to his capacities. His drawings consisted of war, bloodshed, violence. Deep precipices, falling, aggression, death. Please note that we do not have a tv so he was unable to get those motifs from the films! A kid, especially a boy might draw things like that. But not all the time. This was not normal, we had to step in.
School 2.
The local Waldorf School.
The amount of acceptance he was given here healed our son. His drawings, ta-da, became normal again. He became a peaceful, loving kid.
For a while.
After that, he was bored. If you have been to a lesson in a Waldorf school you know what I'm talking about. I also was asked to sit through some of his lessions to check his behaviour. I was more than bored to tears myself.
No wonder he was bored. The teacher, although she was a loving creature herself, rejected the idea of giving my son some extra duties, some things he can work his mind on.
We parted School 2 with love, we still have the friendships we made there, the connections are alive.
School 3.
The local school, which is the nearest to our home.
We took our son here at the middle of the 3rd grade, when he was out from the Waldorf school. After a lengthy and interesting talk with his new teacher we decided not to introduce him in the middle of a school year - so he was homeschooled for the rest of the 3rd grade.
Coming from a Waldorf school I had no idea of what to teach him - but the teachers at this 3rd school were helpful with that. My son had to pass an exam at the end of the year to proove that he's elilgible to enter Grade 4 and I trained him to the exams. For your interest: there are not such exams in our school systems. It is especially for those who are home-schooled.
I taught him every day, covering Mathematics, Geography of Hungary, Hungarian Grammar, Hungarian Reading and Biology. I taught him for what was expected him at the exams. Each time his interest grew beyond, I followed him of course.
This is how his 3rd grade ended and at the 4th grade, he started as a 'normal' student.
School 3, Class 'b'.
He started as a normal student, but he was put into the class with all the 'problem kids'. Some of them are aggressive, some of them are the underachieving type (let me not say morons or idiots, but....) And yes, some of them are medicated. He soon developed conflicts with the kids and began disturbing the work of the class again. Nevertheless, his mates were not the accepting type, either. He just did not fit in. They rejected him, he rejected them.
I guess he had enough of the whole school thing by now.
From time to time he had to spend days or weeks at home, homeschooled. The teacher, with whome we developed a friendly relationship, showed me what lessons are to taught and I taught my son. He wrote exams at the end of all the home periods. He wrote them relatively well. He did have some hard times though, for example at the Waldorf school there are no lessons for home, but which is an everyday task in a normal school. My son have not developed a sense of duty to prepare homework, but that trait is a must in schools. That was tough.
School 3, Class 'a'.
At the middle of the 4th grade teachers and the director of the school decided to put my son into the parallel class. Here, most of the kids are 'normal', I mean, some of them are great, some of them are not-so-much, but nothing special. Except one or two, but that is okay.
He started doing much better here, but every now and then there are days when the teacher asks me to let him have at home, instead of sending him to school.
The reasons?
Lack of sense of duty, signs of boredom, etc.
He does not behave well, nor writes his homework and for these things he receives the worst marks. In Hungarian schools, school performance is measured by marks from 1 to 5, being the worst.
My son, according to his teachers, would perform at a level 5, or occasionally at a 'strong' 4 - but, due to his behaviour and lack of diligence, lack of homework, his marks are bordering 4 and are rather 3s.
The reason?
Lack of motivation.
There we are now, at the end of the 4th grade.
We, parents are looking forward into the 5th grade not without some fears - we pray not to show fear towards him, instead we try to encourage him and awake his sense of duty and 'normal sense'.

So, when we chose home schooling, we had no other option. The teachers were helpful and suggested me even ways of teaching and organizing a home-school day. I bet they were happier not to have my son around. Although most of the teachers seemed to have liked my son, they felt it was easier for them without him. Which is quite a shame. They chose the no-challenge option instead of the more difficult one. At the same time I know teaching my son is not easy. I know because I tried it.
The first photo was made by me, at River Tisza on 7th July, 2007. The second was by my son on 8th July, 2007.
9 megjegyzés:
Mothers know best... If your instinc tells you to home school your son, then so be it.
My nephew was lucky enought to have a teacher who had himself AD/HD ; He knew hands on how to give the proper attention to his "special" student... Not all kids are that lucky.
Michele sent me ; have a great weekend !
My youngest sister, Molly, is the same way. Very, active, extremely bright but forever in need of something or someone to keep her brain working.
The middle child, Ysabel, is very subdued and also extremely smart but does not require the same amount of human contact that Molly does.
For these reasons we are considering sending Molly back to public school because she's the kind of kid who will try to help those who do not understand. Ysabel, on the other hand, needs some serious individual help in all of her subjects and some other things (like self-confidence) as well.
Thank you for sharing your story. I do hope that all works out well for you and your family.
Cheers from Atlanta
Oh - the frustration! My Jane (Sometimes you will see me call her Ben) has always had problems. Teachers often tried to pressure me into declaring she had attention deficit disorder... because THEY WANTED HER DRUGGED.. not me. I resisted, refused the labels/tags idiot nomenclature that would help Jane in no possible way...She is smart - real smart. Easily led, provoked and cannot explain her emotions well. Taciturn at times.
Almost 15 years of.. trying so hard to find the best thing for not only her but the rest of the family. Never knowing if I made the right decision. Just knowing the sleepless nights and tears and LOVE.. and frustration.
That feeling to desperately want to protect your child is never going to leave. All you can do is follow your gut instinct as the two above me said...And know that all the good times are worth the bad times.
Wishing I could some way... comfort you... Your comfort has to be taken in the good times. I know you have many of them. He is such a beautiful boy.
Just a trumpet player:
I'm also inclined to think that a good teacher is a key factor in handling these special kids. The tolerance, strict rules and love they give is of utmost importance. But good teachers are really hard to find. Teachers are seriously underpaid for example.
Thanks for the visit and the weekend wishes. Weekend has started and it started fine.
To Leigh,
thanks for the visit and the good wishes. It is interesting that Molly has this ability to help other kids. Sometimes I notice this in my son, too - but those occassions are rare :(
I'm wishing your family success in finding happiness.
To Melly,
thanks for all the good wishes.
You (and the others) are right - a mother should follow her own instinct. I should learn and apply that, too.
And yes, there are good moments with my son and they are worth the bad ones.
Your country's weather is very nice. Now it is very heavy rain in Japan. That is typhoon.
Whoa, is your family in direct danger, Lucy?
Thank you. Our area is OK. But Kyushu area has too much rain. Someone lost their house.
I'm sorry to hear about that. Weather can be dangerous.
Megjegyzés küldése