This one below is my entry:
- - -
Grandma's French Toast
I heard Mom coming home from the visit. She kept her voice low so as not to disturb me - but I was awake.
She greeted me with a warm hug:Honey, are you feeling better now?
Mom, not really. I cough all the time.
Oh, poor dear. See, what Grandma has packed just for you?
I jumped with delight, and shouted out in anticipation the name of my favourite food. She made it so great. The trouble was that I felt full.
Mom, is it okay to save it for dinner? I can't eat it right now.
All right dear. Just get back to rest, please.
I wanted to get hungry so I waited some and fell asleep. By dinner I got worse and was hardly able to shove down anything. I slept a lot, well into the following day.
It was nearly lunch time when I recalled having placed the package on the radiator. I put it there to keep the warmth, to keep it fine.
Now I unpacked the foil.
I expected the exciting smell, the crunchiness. Saliva started to gather in my mouth. There you go...
Or would you rather not?
What I revealed was a multi-coloured, slightly deformed damp flat object. It was pleasingly warm all right, but the surface was all hairy with tiny strings of mould gorwing in blots of various sizes and forms.
A patchwork of disgust.
I re-wrapped it and tried to hide the result of my stupidity into the garbage bin.
Mom, not really. I cough all the time.
Oh, poor dear. See, what Grandma has packed just for you?
I jumped with delight, and shouted out in anticipation the name of my favourite food. She made it so great. The trouble was that I felt full.
Mom, is it okay to save it for dinner? I can't eat it right now.
All right dear. Just get back to rest, please.
I wanted to get hungry so I waited some and fell asleep. By dinner I got worse and was hardly able to shove down anything. I slept a lot, well into the following day.
It was nearly lunch time when I recalled having placed the package on the radiator. I put it there to keep the warmth, to keep it fine.
Now I unpacked the foil.
I expected the exciting smell, the crunchiness. Saliva started to gather in my mouth. There you go...
Or would you rather not?
What I revealed was a multi-coloured, slightly deformed damp flat object. It was pleasingly warm all right, but the surface was all hairy with tiny strings of mould gorwing in blots of various sizes and forms.
A patchwork of disgust.
I re-wrapped it and tried to hide the result of my stupidity into the garbage bin.
- - -
- - -At the same time, I am busy.
It's either chopping firewood, or doing some gladiator fitness, mwah-hah-hah, or translating, or, when I feel inspired, guess what, I write.
Following upon Vesper's experiences about brushing away blue feelings I have returned to writing the long version of Halo.
Halo was the name of my first-ever contest entry and I had some struggle to put it within the limits of 250 words. Some people suggested that the story deserves to be expanded, and that is exactly what I have been doing since mid November 2007.
My other blog deals with some details about the progress.
Right now I'm at about 3300 words.
10 megjegyzés:
I cant believe theres a Hungarian blog just like mine! hahaha. If only I could read it. I love it though - wonder if we should join forces somehow.
Great to see you are still going with this.
xoxo
Hi, Vickie,
Isn't it amazing? I found this site and immediately thought of you. I hope you and the writer of that site will make friends soon. I suggest you speaking English to her/him. Most young people speak English in Hungary.
I make French Toast usually about twice a month. It was hiding in a rather interesting piece of a story this time, not coming steaming hot from my skillet. Thanks for cooking me this most interesting serving.
I like how the dialog feels like a fond memory.
Sorry her treat was ruined.
Russel,
I'm glad you liked the unexpected fate ot the toast! Thank you for dropping by again!
Jason,
It is autobiographical, you see :)
Good writing exercise!
"I wanted to get hungry so I waited some and fell asleep." I like this! :-)
I'm very happy you're writing again. Keep going! :-)
Thank you, Vesper.
It was just for fun, though.
But why not?
Have fun chopping that wood. It certainly is a workout.
I should've been over sooner to say thank you for doing the writing exercise.
I like the diversity in your writing!!
:-)
This was a good one.
Beth,
yes, it makes my hands even stronger :)
but woul dmake me a very bad violinist... Fortunately I'm not one :)
Chris,
That's ok.
I'm glad you liked it.
Megjegyzés küldése