július 01, 2008

Guess The Movie - Round Four

Although many of my frequent visitors gave their best at guessing the movies, I was just about to get slightly disappointed by the low success of this series, when kind Vesper's praise brought my faith back.
Even if not for creating an overly popular series, these helped me to learn to convey the athmosphere and meaning of a film into words. In other words: from what I saw to what I feel.
I really enjoyed writing the installments, and yes, I have all the ten ready... I toyed with different types of interpretation, from a close first person POV to a general view of the events...
-
Summer is difficult for parents: school's closed and it's the parent that has to entertain the kid. Unless said parent wants said kid to be entertained by computer games and the like. It's not that my kids can not play with the computer - oh yes they can. But then there's the limit which I am to keep, and to make them learn to keep for themselves.
How's your summer going?
-
About the series:
for the rules, go back HERE.
The solutions will not be given away, not until the tenth is over. It means that anyone can go back to get more points.
There are hints, now given out upon request.
-
The fourth is here!!!!
-
A smallish box with worn lids lies unopened. Small hands are reaching out, they are opening the box.
We have a long stare at the treasure: a few crayons, an old, broken watch with a metal chain, glass balls, beads, filler pen, coins, two dolls made of soap (a couple), a magnet from a fastener, a metal whistle. Everything’s small.
A child is humming. She starts drawing with one of the dark crayons. The crayon seems large among her fine fingers.
What is she drawing? A flower? Set of waving lines?
It is a bird.
She laughs and tears the bird out of the paper.
There’s black emptiness where the bird used to be.
- - -
A suburban area with a row of houses with trees.
...back in those days, days lasted 24 hours, but seemed longer. There was no hurry, nowhere to go, nothing to buy, no money to buy it with, although we have been told recently that we have nothing to fear but fear itself. That summer I was six years old...
- - -
The girl jumps off the tire she’s been hanging on to greet a man in his 50s. He’s carrying a large sack, half full to the back of the yard. The sack looks heavy. The man’s movements are rough; he’s tired.
Good morning Mister C-.
Morning, Miss.

He does not want to bother him.
The girl would like to call her father to help the man out so she keeps running towards the backdoor. She wears jeans and has a boys’ haircut. She calls inside for her daddy.
A man is his late thirties, wearing a suit and a tie appears in the doorway. He’s busy tying his wrist cuffs.
Good morning Walter he says and starts getting down on the steps towards the older man.
The old man hands over the sack and leaves in a slightly confused way.
The young man asks her daughter not to call him next time Mr C- comes. The daughter does not understand. Her father explains that the old man probably does not like to be thanked. They leave the back door and go round the house to enter from the front. But they stay on the front porch. The girl toys with the dry stems of a rose that grows onto the porch; her father picks up the morning paper.
Why is he bringing you this stuff?
That’s the way he pays me for some legal stuff I did for him.
Why does not he pay in cash?
That’s the only way he can. He has no money.
Is he poor?
Yes.
Are we poor?
We are indeed.
- - - -
Beware: this music video is completely unrelated. I put it up b/c I love Nina Simone. That's all. I hope you enjoy 'My man's gone now'.

8 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Well it seems that they are old movies and I am not really into movies and if I watch them I watch usually movies which makes me relaxed (so not too high quality movies) and I read books if I want to absorb some value.

SzélsőFa írta...

I see your point, Ropi.

This is one of the more serious movies, and is hardly known in Hungary, but for those living in the USA, it is like the 'Pál utcai fiúk' for us. Very, very, easy.

But there will be more lighter and recent films in my series. And you got one right, remember?

Névtelen írta...

and probably the only

SzélsőFa írta...

Don't say that - you'll just see what's on the way.

Névtelen írta...

Congratulations for doing well on Master of Antiquity.

SzélsőFa írta...

wow, I have seen it! Thanks for the nice and creative awards.

Ello - Ellen Oh írta...

Am I late on this? I've been having such a rough month. But I'm going to email you my clue anyway because I know this one! and I'm so happy!!!!

SzélsőFa írta...

I have received your email, Ello! You are never late. in fact, you can go back to earlier rounds as well.