június 23, 2008

Guess the Movie - Round THREE

I have the results, but you can still go back and try your knowledge of movies....
The rules are HERE.
So, please read the third part down below. Hints are given out on request via email.
It worked the last time, it should work this time as well.

----

I had my own business. While others pretended having fun in their long silk gowns and tail-coats in ballrooms, I had a terrible headache. I was quite far away from those fancy dresses and elegant perfumes.
I used to live at the edge of town, where people had their lunch in the streets and were happy if they had anything at all. Under the bridge, on crap sites – it was out of question. It was food and it quieted hunger.
I have deliberately chosen this apartment. The sign said ‘Cheap Hotel’, but it was just as cheap as any other house in the row. Back in those days, cars were a rarity out there. Kids used to play in the street; stupid, ignorant fellas in short shorts. I avoided them all the time.

That day I had a tremendous headache. I really had nothing to do; nothing, except waiting. My fingers toyed with a fresh cigar as I contemplated the walls, when Mrs. Hills entered. The landlady scrimmages around me like a mother; she’s kind of annoying so I keep staring at the walls. She even keeps gathering things off of the floor. I don’t mind her sniffing around as long as she leaves me alone. She has a habit of talking too much, also. This habit of hers now interferes with my headache. I close my eyes which she mistakes for tiredness. Oh, my, she keeps talking. Is it headache? Is it suppressed fear? Is it the excitement of the inevitable? Are they those people?
She informs me about what I have already suspected. Those guys must have been following me since…Wait, since when?
My thoughts are interrupted by her drawing the blinds down. With a final ‘You need a real rest’, she’s gone, finally.
Those two men…- What if I…What if I don’t….…- my hands form into a solid fist. My guts shiver and shrink. So there be it. I take the glass. I’m having the last draught. My head is about to split. I don’t scream; I never do. The glass meets the sink. There, there, I know what I should do. I have my ways, you betcha.

Lifting the blinds I sneak a look at them. ‘What do you know? You’re bluffing. You know nothing of me.’

I have to leave and I have to leave now. The sooner the better. Those fools will just see. Heh, they will not see. There they stand, pretending not to have noticed me, but I feel their eyes around me. Their eyes have watched me stepping out of the hotel and now I’m passing right beside them. What a clever game. But I’m the cat, guys.

They pretend not to have noticed me at all, but their eyes are bored into my back as I take a street to the center of town. I know they are following me, but I have the advantage of knowing one more thing much better than they do: the fine structure of streets, demolished lots, stairways and shortcuts.
I watch them from above as they stand clueless behind the gate. Get up earlier if you want to get me, dudes. The cigar feels fine now again.

My next step in the scenario is to leave a telegram to Santa Rosa, California. The text is stupid I know, but who cares.
I read it aloud anyhow. ‘I’m coming out to stay with you for a while, stop.’

5 megjegyzés:

Aine írta...

I'm stumped-- clue, please?
:)

Névtelen írta...

I'm realizing how bad I am at this.

SzélsőFa írta...

Aine and Jason,

I'll be sending over the first hint to you both.
I'm so sorry this contest turned out to be hard instead of being funny and enjoyable :((

Vesper írta...

I am clueless for this one as I am for the previous entry, despite the hint that you've sent me by e-mail (thank you!). I don't think I've seen these two films. I'm sorry! :-)

But I did enjoy reading the scenes that you wrote. They are interesting and well written. I hope you continue to write others...

SzélsőFa írta...

Hi Vesper,

I'm sending you the second hint, as the first one was not really helpful. I admit that.

Thanks for your kind words towards my writing!
I have already written all the ten installments, so don't you worry about that!