június 05, 2008

Pictures from the 'puszta'

Some places, if not all, have their special atmosphere you either like or dislike.

I tell you my experience in this field.

Back in 1991, I was fascinated by the majesty of the Black Pine Forest. I found it almost mystical. It definitely had a draw on me. I spent 2 or 3 days there, and the charm was gone. A menacing presence took over. I felt I had to leave, just had to leave or I might get hurt by some unseen harm. To this very day, I can still recall the shiver (and ...was it fear?) I felt.

It's not that I dislike forests, not at all - it's just that that type of forest was not welcoming and friendly. At least, not for me.

-
And now, about another site that is quite a sight: Hungary, the present-day, amputated area of Hungary is famous for its lowlands. The middle region of the Carpathian basin consists of flat areas, where the soil ranges from salty clay to loose sand, with various types of flowers and insects. This is called the 'puszta' (pooh-s-t-uh).

The one we visited last weekend is called Kunság (koo-n-sh-uh-gh; meaning home of the Kuns). The Kuns are a long forgotten nation that had an enourmous influence on the agriculture, folk art and genetics of the Carpathian basin.

This was the second time I spent some time and slept in the puszta.

Vast meadowlands are hardly, if ever, interrupted by farm houses here and there. This one below used to be a shed for sheep I guess.
The canal was suitable for a quick dip, but not much for a swimming, due to the high number of water-dwelling plants. The bed of the canal was a feet-welcoming clay.


The flowers of the puszta are not unlike to those found in and among rocks. The soil is salty and the availability of nutritive materials is low.



I find the 'puszta' friendly and welcoming. I can well imagine myself living in a farmhouse, taking care of sheep or cattle, collecting hay for the winter, managing poultry and collecting herbs. The movement of the eye is free, there's no obstacle of whatsoever to the wondering mind either. One feels safe and home.

14 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Great pictures.

It's crazy because the first couple pictures are very close to what I'm seeing in my mind's eye in my novel.

Thanks for sharing!

SzélsőFa írta...

Hey, I can supply you with similar pictures I made in the puszta.
if it helps you any way to finish your novel, I'm all into it, Paul!

Névtelen írta...

Thanks SzélsőFa. You are the best.

I may refer to your pictures from time to time for inspiration. Really, that first one was almost from my mind!

steve on the slow train írta...

When I saw the word Kun, I thought of Bela Kun, but a check of Wikipedia showed that he "Magyarized" his name from Kohn to Kun. He was a brilliant man, though he went terribly wrong.

The puszta looks a lot like northern Indiana and Ohio in the Great Lakes basin. The soil here is not salty, though. Northern Indiana was once a major producer of mint until Chinese mint drove down the price and made mint production unprofitable. It's mostly corn, soybeans, and dairy cattle now.

SzélsőFa írta...

Paul,

I hope you like the ones I sent you over email as well :)

Steve,

Kun Béla was a dangerous man working against the country that adopted him (Hungary). He is but to despise. I don't know about his brilliance, but I might be lacking something here....Or it is just my prejudice against fake-communists.

Re: Chinese mint destroying your homeland's mint production:
The older I get the less I see ANY andvantage of international trade.
Call me someone believing in conspiracies, but internationalism is just plain wrong.

Névtelen írta...

SzélsőFa - I did like the ones you sent. Thank you so much!

Beth írta...

Terrific pictures. I'd love to see the black pines as well.

Chris Eldin írta...

These are beautiful pictures, and the last line captures their essence perfectly!

(I prefer hills and mountains though, to flat lands. I don't know why....)

SzélsőFa írta...

Paul,

my pleasure.

Beth,

Thank you!
Actually, you are much closer to those pine forests now as I am. Those are in the USA.
:-O

Chris,

Thanks!
I think preferring mountains and forest provide the eye with many interesting sights and they have their special harmony. I, too, tought I liked them much better than flatlands.
But now I see where I am.

SzélsőFa írta...

uhm...
leave the word 'preferring' out of my last sentence.

Vesper írta...

Absolutely beautiful pictures!

Some forests seem menacing - I suppose it has to do with the unknown, which lurks in the shadows of old trees...

SzélsőFa írta...

Vesper,

perhaps you are right, but then there are forests with secrets that are friendly anyway.

Névtelen írta...

Nice pictures about the Hungarian Steppe.

SzélsőFa írta...

Thanks, Ropi.