április 01, 2008

Things we did during easter PART TWO

In Hungary, male visitors at Easter are given decorated eggs and/or money/chocolate. As I promised, here's the description of Easter eggs - the way we do them:


You need:
fresh, intact eggs
the outer tough and dark leaves of 5-6 onions (may use the onions to make a French onion soup)
a medium sized pot
water
fresh leaves of plants gathered from the garden/forest/roadside - (smaller and more delicate leaves are better)
an old pantyhose, cut into 10*10 cm pieces
rubber bands
a small cup of water
a clean table
grease
serviettes
some detergent and a sponge to clean up the grease
fresh kitchen towels

Method of preparation as displayed by DH and my 8 yo daughter:
-
Step 1 (not pictured)
Put the onion leaves into the put with a sufficient amount of water and bring it to the boil.
-
Step 2.
Make fresh leaves and cup of water available.
Select a leaf and rinse it in the cup of water.
Hold an egg and place a leaf on the surface.
Add as many leaves as you wish, carefully holding the egg so as not to break it and not to let the leaves fall. Any 8-yo can do that trick.





-

Step 3.

Have a small piece of pantyhose ready.

Pull it tight with two hands. With your third hand, place the egg into the sack you've just created.


-

Step 4.

This is the most difficult part. Using a rubber band, wrap the pantyhose around the egg to make a package. Do not break the egg, nor let the leaves slip off.


-
Step 5.

Place the egg with the pantyhose on into the boiling water, which has been already given a nice color. Did I just say nice? You decide.

Let is boil for like 5 minutes.



-

Step 6.

Remove eggs from water. Remove pantyhose and rubber band from eggs. You are not supposed to break the shell. Let the eggs dry until all dampness disappears.

-

Step 7. Optional.

For a final touch, you may want to add some shine to the eggs. Dip your fingers into some grease and put a tiny(!) amount of it on the surface. Rub it gently over the shell with a help of a serviette.

-

Step 8.

Enjoy the endproduct, and gather whoa-s from visitors.






17 megjegyzés:

Bart Treuren írta...

i love these patterns, there's something uniquely artistic about them :-))

i'm a little older than 8 and so are the girls so perhaps i'll try this next easter or perhaps beforehand just to practice :-)

keep well..

keda írta...

haha we make these too... although i was lazy this year and now you made me feel guilty! :P

they are so beautiful though. they always amaze me.

SzélsőFa írta...

Bart,

yes, please do come back next year for reference.

Keda,

you mean with onions and leaves and all? Wow.
And yes, Nature's artistic gallery's always the best.

Névtelen írta...

Those are gorgeous, Szelsofa!! I love the patterns fashioned by Mother Earth herself.

Aine írta...

Wow! I love the idea of using the leaves. I have read about using onionskins to make the dye, but I've never seen the use of leaves to make patterns. They are gorgeous! (Of course, I've always been a sucker for patterns from nature.)

I wonder if it would work with the color dyes that I have. I'll have to go collect some leaves and try it!

I chuckled at your repetition regarding taking care to not break the eggs-- did you guys lose a few in the process?
:)

Thanks for sharing!!!

Chris Eldin írta...

Those are beautiful!!! I'm going to have to try that!
:-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Jason,

those are the best, aren't they? Always something different, yet reassuringly the same.

Aine,

Yes, please try, and let us know about the results.
No, we did not break any, I wrote it to enhance the fun factor :))

Chris,

do, do!
And don't forget to document your results!

Vesper írta...

Excellent! Beautiful eggs! I'll try your method. Couldn't they break if you put them in boiling water?

SzélsőFa írta...

As you surely know, some fresh eggs break when you put them into boiling water. You can not avoid that from happening.
But you may want to precook the eggs so that those whose shell cracks you can eat right away and decorate those whose shell remains intact.
That means double cooking but that shall not be a problem.

Melly` írta...

So very cool - off to try it now I think!

SzélsőFa írta...

Let me know about the outcome, Melly, will you, please?
I'm glad to be an inspiration!!

The Quoibler írta...

Szelsofa:

Those are simply gorgeous! I'm totally in awe of the ability to do something this amazing using all-natural ingredients.

Angelique

SzélsőFa írta...

Angelique,

Nature is wonderful isn't it? Will you try it next time?

Névtelen írta...

Very lovely. Nice work. Thanks for sharing this. Really cool!

This would definitely gather some oohs and aahs at my house.

Paul

SzélsőFa írta...

Yes, the problem is it is usually done by women - you know they present these eggs to the male visitors as a surprise.
But you might talk your wife into doing such eggs - and anyway, in our house it was my husband who made them.

Crafty Green Poet írta...

those are gorgeous, very beautiful design and colour

keda írta...

yes :) we do them exactly the same way. usually using flat leaf parsley (it looks as if you did too) as they seem to come out the best.

we also sometimes drip candle wax over them and colour them with other (natural or store bought powder)dyes.