november 22, 2007

Mad Tree

CAUTION:
Some readers might find some of the upcoming photos and outright truth disturbing. One might wish to avert his/her eyes and perception. One might choose to see and understand. You have been warned.



Angelique commented to the last post:

'It sounds to me like a metamorphosis is taking shape before our very eyes. I cannot wait to see what exciting things are in store for you, dear blogging buddy. I know they'll be incredibly fulfilling.'

I'd like to dedicate a post to answering this.

We all face changes during the course of our lives. Sometimes a change comes dramatically, within a period of a few days or weeks, or even hours (?). Some changes evolve much more slowlier.

Now, I feel I'm changing somehow, but do not understand the new path completely, do not see the direction clearly.
The change must have started already, which accounts for my anxiety and slight discomfort. I have not reached menopause nor am I pregnant, nor am I on any medication, so these potential factors are ruled out.

What are the factors that are still within sight?

1. My kids are growing and I surely have to adjust my attitude towards them. I have new tasks around them. My younger one has started school this September and my older one is getting into the much-dreaded pre-teenager period. I was a horrible teenager. I did NOT make any mistakes like drugs and fake friends and early stupid sex, but I was a pain in the ass to my mother. I'm afraid I am to expect the same. Or something similar.




2. Our house is under reconstruction. We do the jobs, literally, with our hands. Now it has reached a phase when my help comes much more into the picture. I have to help more in building and renovating, which is all right at one hand. We'll have a nice house. But you know, I was never that help offering person. I have to learn to give more. Of my time, of my energy. Now, if you asked my husband, he would surely mention all the things I have already done around the house. But now I think I must, like double my efforts.




3. I have been writing poems and short stories. I still have to learn so many things in this field. The writing contests, be them small or somewhat bigger, and also your valuable, constructive comments are extremely helpful in developing my skills. But also, I have to learn to nurture my well of inspiration. The question of 'why am I doing it' is always up front. I have to learn to accept that some of my writing are yes, they are good, while some others are, well, not so much. I have to learn that good and bad comes together.

4. I have started reading a book called Women Who Run with the Wolves by C. P. Estés. It is lent to me by a friend, who knows I'm open to almost any esoteric pathways and solutions. This book is a guidebook to women to help them to get familiar with their feminine side, instincts, how to use them and so on. I'm at page 43, so I can't tell you more. Feminity has always been a difficult issue for me. I'm NOT deviated sexually, physically from the average, but I have/had some issues. Some of you might recall my entries about kinesiology sessions I took part around the turn of 2006/2007. I keep on reading this book seeing where it will take me.


5. Sometimes I just feel plain tired. The number of husband and wife special occassions (I refer here to evenings in a theater, at a classical music concert, hiking in the mountain) has been apprioaching zero recently. Well, in recent years. We are each other's best friend and can debate any, yes, ANY issue ranging from his uhm...interesting dreams through his boss's new habits through school issues, through my participating in a writing contests to religion, to politics and all. I blame it on the house. I love this house and I love that it's all ours, NO BANK credit involved. But....


6. There are messages about a serious economical breakdown in Hungary. It is supposed to come early next year. It might mean that there will be no electricity and shops, to name the two most important things. My husband hears forecasts not unlike to the vision displayed in the Mad Max series. This, combined with the forecats about a total world control, with minor details such as the verichip and Nais for animals in the USA, totally freak me out. Am I a freak to feel frightened? I just can not put my head into sand, pretending it's quite all right. What is the world heading to? What am I to do? Do something that will be remembered, risking my family - not really my style...or is it? Do more appropriate things to save myself and my beloved? Like keeping more chicken, having more veggies of our own, learning sewing clothes and all? Preparing for Mad Hungary and Mad World? Will it really come? Have I gone mad? OR have the world gone blind?


Now, as my bedtime story is over, pull up the blankets my dear and have a good night. Sleep tight. Or you may also opt for reading the poem I wrote on 21 Nov.

UPDATE. You are so kind and honest with me with your comments. I'm still taking a rest, but will be back soon - I already have plans! :)

Here's Mad World by Gary Jules. I don't know much about the singer, but his simple devotion and humble performance gets my admiration. The song is a bit monotonous, and for some, can feel boring, too, but now it's just matches my mood.


19 megjegyzés:

Chris Eldin írta...

I have to digest this slowly. I just watched the first videoclip and find it very disturbing.

SzélsőFa írta...

There, there!

Névtelen írta...

Growing pains yeild growth. It sounds like you are on an exciting path.

As for the state of world, I take solace in the fact that every generation believes the world is ending. So far, it hasn't. I think it's in our nature to see change in terrifying terms.

SzélsőFa írta...

May your words turn out true, Jason. May there be peace and tolerance in the world.
But the world is not the same. It is changing at an alarming speed.
Remember, Nami has been answered, too. And not in a friendly way.

The Quoibler írta...

Szelsofa:

Wow. I am honored to have been the inspiration for this post.

As I said before, I know that you're going to come through this tunnel of a life change and emerge stronger than ever.

Angelique

SzélsőFa írta...

Oh yes Angelique, you were an inspiration with that lovely words coming so close to my photographs and thoughts. You captured the change so nicely.

Lucy írta...

Wow, a lot of insects. mh sons like them.
By the way, did you say that your sons birthday is chirstmas day?

Chris Eldin írta...

Szelsofa,
It sounds like you're at a point in your life where you're measuring the past and anticipating the future. I started going through this kind of reflection a couple of years ago. What has helped me is learning more about Native Americans, because their philosophies are so similar to mine. (I am not a religious person). This has helped to ground me.
Meeting people through blogs, reading more, having more time to myself now that my children are a bit older has helped.
And I agree with Jason about every generation declaring doom and gloom. I don't think it's healthy to live in worry of that.

SzélsőFa írta...

Lucy,

No, my son was born a day BEFORE New Year's Eve (30 December) and I, a day before Christmas (23 December).

Church Lady,

Thank you for the advice and good words.
In fact, I have been studying/exploring the old beliefs of Old Hungarians in the past few years. Their beliefs and philosophy added a final touch to my own compilation of my personal religion. They helped me, encouraged me in my sort pf paganistic pathway. I think I will dedicate a post about this.
Meeting people, even if only virtually does help.
I disagree with Jason, I think it's more serious that a simple 'Oh, it's nearly 2000, the world will soon end' hysteria.
But, you are absolutely right: living in worries and fears, be them irrational or valid, does NOT help.
We have to be aware of facts (political, economical, and most of all, ecological FACTS), but instead of crying in despair, we have to look for a solution.

Ello - Ellen Oh írta...

Hi Szelsofa, my earlier comment here must have gotten lost, but I too said the same thing Chris said which is it just is not healthy to live in a state of fear, and it is immobilizing. Far better for us to do the little things that we can to make this world a better place, which I think you are doing!

And I just saw your note asking about the pictures on my slide show. Those are not my pictures, actually Blogger has a new feature where you can add a slideshow from flickr or other picture sharing site. It's kind of cool! You should try it out!

SzélsőFa írta...

Hi Ello,

yes your earlier comment was nowhere to be seen for me - damn Blogger.
You are right: one can't stay in fear for long, it freezes one.
But fear can sometimes be a motivator as well.

I also happen to believe in 'doing small things' - it can be as simple as the expression that refers to it.

Vesper írta...

It's good to stop and ponder, assess your life, your path, your options. It's only natural to be scared - many are scared of change, but I don't think that universal doom will happen catastrophically, or at all. People learn, and learn to adapt.
Enjoy your children and your husband, the work on your house, and your writings - all are marvellous things.

Melly` írta...

I just really liked the bugs!

And your changing feelings and emotions.. perfectly normal...

Beth írta...

I don't like looking at bugs, but I read what you wrote carefully. It seems you have a lot of thoughts going on now, a lot of things to ponder, stuff to stir around in the brain.

I think this is a good outlet for you to do that in. I don't have any advice, but I wanted you to know I read it all and hope the economic situation in Hungary does not go south.

SzélsőFa írta...

Vesper,

While I may disagree on an ecological/economical catastrophe not facing us, as I've said upon someone's advice, one simply can NOT live in constant fear.
I have to turn my head and emotions towards things I love and persons who love me.

Melly's saying feeling like this is normal. I'm very much afraid she is right with this.

Beth,
I'm all stirred up, waiting for some cozy place to rest myself. I am ever so thankful for your honesty.

Beth írta...

I have to agree with some of the others as well, I think ups and downs are normal in life. There are times all women feel completely confused, down in dumps, and depressed. I think you need this to feel true joy.

SzélsőFa írta...

Oh, yes, how truly said.
If one always had joys one would not be able to tell the joy from the neutral. One would have no joy at all then.

A hill consists of a top and sides. Those we climb up and those we are sliding down sometimes.
Only to climb another hill, perhaps.

Beth írta...

Yes, but the hills make us stronger, make us learn more, give us character, and there's the whole view thing. You can't beat the view.

SzélsőFa írta...

Oh, yes, climbing suits me, it's sliding down I detest.
Perhaps I shall have to learn to go down in a more easy and dignified way.
Plus, without going down, there's no way up I guess.
Still it is hard to chew and digest.
I have to learn that.