november 11, 2007

Take a really close look #10

This is the last round in the series of guessing the object of a close-up photograph.
In the previous game number 9, we had 6 players (Aine, Beth, Jason, The Quoibler, Church Lady and Ello; and since multiple guesses are allowed, 14 deviations. First of all, I'd like to thank all of who for playing along !

I suggest you take a short glance back to the original photo HERE.
-
Your ideas ranged from a simple pumpkin skin to the more sizzling 'freshly baken bread', 'cheese on casserole top', 'sugar muffin', or 'cornbread'.
I am really sorry to say that this time NONE of you were EXACTLY right.
In order to avoid the much dreaded 'no winner(s)' situation, I had some time deciding which of the guesses came CLOSE ENOUGH.
I discarded suggestions involving and/or referring to simple and shiny surfaces and/or objects; since the original thing did not have such characteristics. 'Pizza' and 'baked cheese' (separate entries) however, do come closer a bit, but not close enough.
And while 'sugar cookies' are anything but close to the reality, the phrase 'crystalline' got me.
-
And therefore yes, we have a WINNER.
Congratulations, Aine.
And just what exactly this photo was about?
-
Voilá: A coat of fried breadcrumbs on a slice of a giant puffball.
Here's the proof:

This is how it is done: Mushroom slices are coated with flour, beaten whole eggs and breadcrumbs, in this order. Coated slices are then fried in oil. This process results in a crunchy, salty coating that hides the inner softer part.
-
Before moving onto the last photo, hear my bonus questions:
Is everyone familiar with this type of cooking? Do you have a special name attached to it?

And now, this is the end, my friends:
What exactly this might be?
Take a closer look.

Have fun!

18 megjegyzés:

Em írta...

It totally looks like a close up of a porcupine. But I doubt you have a porcupine and doubt you could get that close if you did! LOL

Maybe a close up of a pet hedgehog? Yeah, I'm going there. Close up of a hedgehog.

steve on the slow train írta...

It looks like the needles of a pine tree. I'm guessing it's not a porcupine, as they're North American.

pacatrue írta...

My first guess was falling snow. Second guess is something like a pine cone, wtreath, or branch.

SzélsőFa írta...

Em,

I'm glad you're back now.
You're right about porcupine.
Thank you for the guess.

Steve,

Yes, we don't even have porcupines over here.
Pine needles? Oh yes, that's a reasonable guess.
Thanks for playing along.

SzélsőFa írta...

Hiya Paca,

thank you for your guesses. Although to be honest I have no idea what a wtreath might be... But it still might be what this really is.
and yes, we had some snow falling yesterday.

Aine írta...

I won?? Wow! Thanks! What a surprise. So it was "crystalline" salt, not sugar!

I use the same cooking technique with fish-- I just call it pan-frying. I'll have to try it sometime with sliced mushrooms, that sounds delicious!

My guess for photo #10: I'll say a wolf. Or, a fur hat.

SzélsőFa írta...

Aine,

Oh yes, the phrase you used got the closest to the substance of the fried mushroom.
If you like cauliflower, I suggest you try pan-frying them as well. You have to pre-cook the heads for a few minutes and THEN can you coat and fry them.
Thank you for the guess in this game.

Beth írta...

Animal fur?

I have never prepared a mushroom the way you have, but I do veggies that way sometimes. Yours looks really delicious though. Do you grow all your own mushrooms?

SzélsőFa írta...

Beth, this was grown at home yes, but we did not intend to have it. It just grew and we used it :)

Mushrooms available in shops taste bad, if at all.
We collect forest mushrooms instead, provided that there are any.

iLL Man írta...

Is it a wet cat? You know how their fur goes all spiky when they've been in the rain or they've been washed.

It might also be one of those shaggy rugs people use to wipe their feet at the door.

Final guess would be a hay bale.

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you IllMan, for giving the game a go. Your guesses are really interesting ones.

To all players,
keep playing and guessing, the solution comes before very late, as usual.

Névtelen írta...

I'm going to say part of a dried flower. Maybe a thistle?

Either that, or someone you know needs a shave. :D

SzélsőFa írta...

Jason,
how on earth do you have time to pop in?
Oh, don't mind my words up there, I'm so glad you have.

I like how everyone seems to catch the spikyness of the object.
Thistle or an unshaven surface? well, well.
Thanks for playing along!

Ello - Ellen Oh írta...

A basket! Or bird feathers! I am so bad at this guessing game! I'm not even close, boo! But I love trying to guess.

Kathleen írta...

I'm going with hay blowing in the wind.

Or regular grass blowing in the wind but overexposed so it's not green.

SzélsőFa írta...

Ello,

It's not about winning, it's about enjoying, isn't it? And I'm glad you liked this series of guessing. You know this was the final.
Well, your guesses are ...uhm...interesting takes... :) not bad, after all!

Kathleen,

sun-parched grass sounds quite reasonable. It does look like it!
thank you for joining the happy circle :)

Melly` írta...

I commented on this? Where did my comment go? Blooming heck?

I thought it looked like new chick feathers.

And I was sure I was right too!

SzélsőFa írta...

Melly,
Blogger has been mean in the past two days.
But now your comment is here.
Chick feathers?
Thanks for playing along.