november 08, 2007

Pork with sauerkraut

While other people have fun partying, I'm providing you with a recipe to one of the most popular dishes in Hungary. I'm doing it partly because I, although might look the opposite, like to party as well, so basically my mind is occupied by just listening to the sizzling OUT THERE.
Update: I have entered Jason's contest with a 249-word piece. According to rules, I can only post it here as soon as it is up over there.
So, to celebrate all that buzz that's going around I thought I'd give a hearty, though virtual meal to all those meat-lovers out there.

This is called toroskáposzta (toh-rosh-kah-pos-tah) where 'toros' refers to this meal being prepared during the slaughter of a house-reared pig, while 'káposzta' simply means 'cabbage'.

In proper households this meal is made with home made sauerkraut, while those who have no sense make it with sweet cabbage. But the results are nowhere similar. This has to be done with sauerkraut. Period.

Ingredients for 6 person:

1 kg of pork, possibly organic, diced
3 large onions, diced
3 Tbsp red pepper powder, also known as paprika
1 kg sauerkraut (depending on the acidity some let said mighty substance soak in water prior to use. Well, there are more decent cooks than those who allow such horrible actions to take place. A well-made sauerkraut is pleasant to taste, not overly sour, and thus it should not be allowed to bear the sufferings of being soaked and drained and such.)
a LARGE pot
4-5 Tbsp oil
100g plain bacon, diced
Beware: salt is NOT needed

Perhaps you have already noticed how simple this thing is : The weight of cabbage equals that of the meat, while onion is about one-third of this amount.
Here's how to prepare this goodness:

Step 1. sauté onion and bacon on oil
And this is how it should look when it's ready for the next step:

Step 2. Add the red paprika powder and be careful to keep stirring it - burnt paprika becomes bitter in a bad way. Do not spoil your lunch. This is the toughest part. If in doubts, the best you can do is not to do Step 2 longer than a few seconds, but this step is the shortest one anyway. It shouldn't take more than a minute.

Step 3. Add meat and keep stirring. When the meat has changed it's color, proceed to Step 4.
Step 4. Add sauerkraut. Stir in and make a thorough mix. Since cabbage will release some of it's own liquid, you may not need to add water. But you do have to watch and be careful so as not to burn it. Yes, you may add some water every now and then. Depending on the size of meat-cubes and the age of swine, the acidity of cabbage, cooking will take 1-1,5 hours.
Step 5. You know it's ready when the meat cubes are soft, and the red color of the paprika has worn off a bit.
Step 6. Serve with bread. People who serve it with anything else than bread are bordering blasphemy. Don't ever trust them. Toroskáposzta should come with bread.

Pictured here with my own, hand made bread. But it is just as fine with white bread one gets in shops.

Step 7 (Optional). Have another helping.

Step 8. Since sauerkraut if well made contains helpful bacteria, you can safely keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days. Which means you can still have this fine thing on a second day. Also, you can put it in a deep freezer. A very reasonable option!

12 megjegyzés:

Herrick Kimball írta...

SzelsoFa-
Looks good! We have a large cabbage that we want to make sauerkraut with. We have wanted to make our own sauerkraut for a long time, but have never gotten around to it. The directions we've read sound easy. Can you offer any advice to novice sauerkraut makers from the Hungarian perspective? Thank you.

SzélsőFa írta...

Herrick,

Within a couple of posts, I surely will.
I will let you know about it.

Névtelen írta...

That does look yummy!

Abhinav írta...

Nice recipe that... And I notice that you've used trees and the forest as the leitmotives for your blog. I've done the same with sky and birds. Keep writing. Waiting for your short story.

steve on the slow train írta...
Ezt a megjegyzést eltávolította a szerző.
steve on the slow train írta...

This does look very good. Your American readers will have to convert the metric to English. And our store-bought bread is usually soft and gummy. For us, good bread is either homemade or from a bakery.

Kathleen and I used to make Szekely Goulash, which used pork, sauerkraut, and caraway seeds. We ate it with potatoes. I hope that wasn't sacrilegious

Lucy írta...

It is nice! I didn't know sauerkraut. We eat simler to sauerkraut in Japan and South Korea.
If I eat this dish, I want to have rice.

pacatrue írta...

Wow, you almost make sauerkraut look yummy, and that takes a lot of doing for me. Thanks for the recipe. Lucy, are you thinking of kimchee? It is kind of like a spicy sauerkraut.

Lucy írta...

pacatrue,
Yes,Kimuchee. We eat Kimuchee someteimes.
And pickled Chinese cabbage is Japanese food.

SzélsőFa,
We eat cabbages and Chinese cabbages.

SzélsőFa írta...

Strugglingwriter,
it surely IS yummy. I suggest you try it at your home, too. If you have any questions, just bring them forth.


Abhinav,
oh, yes, since I happen to be a tree, too. My story's up at #16.


Steve,
I've tried shop-borne American bread. It really was dreadful.
Re: 'székelygulyás' with potatoes.
Oh. My. God.
*faints*
*recovers*
Well, at least you made a great dish, I suppose. Just like toroskáposzta, székelygulyás preferably comes with bread as well.

Lucy,
There is a dish similar to this that is made with rice.

Pacatrue,
my pleasure. I suspect you have sauerkraut available, but so far, you have not neen introduced to this method of using it wisely.
Sauerkraut comes nice with almost any meat, you can always sauteé it along with the meat.
We've even done it with fish, that was good, too.

Pallav írta...

*sniff* home cooked food...my mouth waters and so do my eyes ....

i'm gonna save these pictures!

N

SzélsőFa írta...

do save, yes, please Nothingman.
It is home made and a relatively easy one. and it is really tasty, too.