szeptember 12, 2007

Edible mushrooms

Jason posted a photo about a mushroom they usually gather in the forest and eat. We also have chicken mushroom in our forests, but that is really rare over here. The video says it is found on dead logs and occassionally on alive trees. I, on the contrary have never seen this species but on standing and alive trees.

Here are some photos of those mushrooms we collect over here.

Here's the first. Sorry for the quality. It's called Liver mushroom in Hungarian, and it's Latin is Fistulina hepatica. The English name, Beefsteak Fungus is also a good name for this species. It makes a very good stew. (I'm sorry to note but the photo on Wiki is just horrendous.)
This photo below was made in 2004, when we collected quite a range of wild mushrooms in the nearby forest. The largest one in the basket is a Macrolepiota procera, or a Deer's shank Mushroom in Hungarian, but I'm sure everyone knows the Parasol Mushroom. Also pictured are some white Button mushrooms, and some Lepiota leucothies, the Smooth Parasol aka Woman on Motorcycle (isn't it the funniest name ever to a mushroom?). The Hungarians simply call it Stubble Mushroom. These species are excellent in soups, stews, stir-fries and go well with sauteéd potatoes as well. In the years 2006 and 2007, we have found a wonderful species growing right in our garden. It is called Giant puffball in Hungarian and English. I make a finger's width slices of it, cover them in flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs and deep-fry it in oil. Yummm.
Other fairly frequent mushrooms we collect include the Gray Funnel (Hungarian), Clytocibe/Lepista nebularis (Latin), and the Blue Funnel/Wood Blewit/Lepista nuda, the Judas's Ears Fungus / Hirneola auricula Judae. I use the latter, crispy mushroom in soups. the other two are great in stir fries or basically, with any sort of meal.

Yup, that's all I could come up with for a new entry. Your ever misoriented friend, SzélsőFa.

8 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Gosh, we don't have very interesting mushroom species around here. The only ones I ever tend to see are tiny ones that grow on the lawn which we have to stamp on to stop them spreading, and those definately aren't edible!
Did you know that the largest living thing on earth is a giant Armillaria Ostoyae mushroom, covering over 2,200 acres of land?

SzélsőFa írta...

Wow, that is incredible.

I bet it must be because when you see many mushrooms spread over a certain limit of space that is basically one single mushroom.

LanternLight írta...

One of the few foods I cannot eat, Yuck,

Névtelen írta...

I'm not a big mushroom fan, but you make them sound so tasty! I think deep-fried anything would be good :)

Very interesting post.

Beth írta...

I can't see any of the pictures. =(

SzélsőFa írta...

Lanternlight,

oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you allergic to mushrooms or just dislike them?

Strugglingwriter,

you should also try cooking mushrooms with other veggies like paprika, corn in a wok. That can't go wrong :)

Beth,

I have noticed that too. I will try to fix it soon. Pls return to see the photos.

Névtelen írta...

Sorry I've been a sporadic commenter lately. My week has been very tough.

I didn't realize you were such a collector! Hats off to you and your family. :)

SzélsőFa írta...

Jason your comments are usually valuable, be them sporadic or regular...and value and content surely outdoes frequency.

Re: mushrooms: oh yes, we are. Whenever a rainy season comes and ends, we are heading into the forest for some mushroom-hunting. Sometimes it is enough to go into the garden :)