május 02, 2008

6 random facts


Kind Vesper has tagged me.
Here are the rules:

1. Link to the person that tagged you - ie me.

2. Post the rules on your blog.

3. Write six random things about youself in a blog post.

4. Tag six people. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their post.

5. Let the tagger know when your entry is posted.


I have done a similar meme HERE...

************

SIX RANDOM FACTS:

1. I can not really swim. Nor do I like it really much. I guess these two are related :) I like doing a few breast-strokes every now and then, but long distance swimming was not meant for me. I like watching other people swimming, though. And I like watching any natural body of water.

2. This blog has been a well-kept secret for almost 2 years. Noone I know knew about it until my husband found it out a few months ago. He is not the curious type, he respects this as a place of privacy. Other than him, noone I know knows about it.

3. There was a period in my life when I was in university when I thought smoking was fun. I smoked for about 3 months, but cigarettes took their toll on my teeth and fingernails. Discoloration (yellow stains) made me quit smoking. I smoked one day and did not the other day. It was just as easy. I have not smoked a cigarette ever since. The horrible part is that there are days when I crave for one. It sounds and feels crazy. The stronger the craving is, the stronger I resist, because the craving itself horrifies me.

4. If I had to choose to have one extra-human ability, I would choose flying. I have dreams when I fly. I usually dream of flying when I experience some strong emotion the previous day.

5. When I was a little kid I disliked my name. I thought it was a complicated and painfully long one. I wished for a short and simple one. Well, I got used to it, and got to like it, too. When I got married, I choose to show my maiden name instead of becoming a Mrs. Someone - even if Mr. Someone is a great person :)

6. When I was a kid I was a loner. I did not feel any attachment to those silly games kids play. I was an outsider. Sometimes it hurt, sometimes I was glad about it.

I remember one occassion when I took part in a game. There were two groups, one against each other. I was a member in one of the two groups, but I left the group and joined the other. They accepted me and provided me with their secrets and treated me as one of them. Secretly I knew I was just faking it and I would return to my first group. I was a spy. When I returned, none of the groups really liked me anymore. Rather, they despised me. This little action of mine, which started as an extremely interesting and funny experience, turned sour. I too, despised myself and never forgave my dishonesty. Neither have I played similar games.

This happened when I was about 9-10 years old. Ever since this incident, I value honesty, trust and faithfulness over any other human trait.

But this story has a happy ending.

I've started playing an online fictional world game called Travian. Some of you might have heard of it, might even have played in it. In short; people build towns of their own, create armies, fight each other. Some people gather into clans, and some clans fight against each other. I have my own village, too. Arthur, he was a man in my clan. He left the clan because he had other intentions than our leaders. Arthur was one of the most powerful members of the clan and he was my virtual friend. We only know each other in this virtual world.

When he left, our relationship stayed and even strengthened. He gives me advice about things as I am a beginner to this game. He is nice to me and we share honest messages. About two weeks after he had left the clan, Arthur asked a question I knew I should not answer. I felt my childhood memories coming back to me. I felt I had to do the same thing again. I felt the time when I was able to make things work out for good finally came. In agony and fear of doing the same mistake again, I shared my childhood story with Arthur. I explained this haunting feeling I had. I decided not to answer his question. Arthur understood my stance and asked for my forgiveness for tempting me. I felt relief. I think now I have undone my betrayal. I remained faithful to my clan AND to a friend I like. The best part is that Arthur understands me.

And now I tag those who liked reading my six secrets :)

Feel free to reveal yours.

14 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Wow, you did a great job with this. Very interesting. I really enjoyed this post.

That #6 is so cool. It's neat you can get "redemption" like that from a game.

Paul

Névtelen írta...

I am a bad swimmer too.

Bart Treuren írta...

thank you for your excellently honest answers, i value these enormously since many of the things you write i could have written myself :-))

your admission at the end of your post must have been a very liberating moment for you, i'm glad it worked out...

keep well...

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you, Paul.

As much as everything is partly borne by our imagination and so are virtual games, I do think it was a chance I was offered - to make things right.
I'm glad I did the right thing - even if more than 20 years later...
I think the guilt of being a Judas will not haunt me any longer.

Ropi,

Some people walk in and out swimming pools...having great fun...I'm not really one of those either.

Bart,

it does seem we have a lot in common :)
yes, random fact #6 was a tru liberation for me. Sometimes secrets are not to be kept.

Thank you all!

Aine írta...

I love this meme!

#2 is fascinating, but probably common. How did your husband react?

#3-- That's amazing that you still have cravings. What power such chemicals have!! I've never smoked and now I'm even more glad I haven't.

#4-- Me too!! I even created a superhero alter-ego for myself when I was a kid. I used to fall asleep imagining how heroic I could be if I could fly. It's fascinating that you discovered a link between flying dreams and strong emotions. Perhaps the flying thoughts act as natural stress-relief or a coping mechanism.

#5-- yep, me too (are you my long-lost twin?)

#6-- What an amazing story. If only we could find such opportunities to heal childhood wounds as easily as this!

Thanks for sharing these, Szelsofa!

SzélsőFa írta...

Aine,

#2 - he glimpsed at my blog once or twice, when I was also there in the room. He doesn't care much about virtual worlds.

#3 - I am the 'frightening example/sample' as the Hungarian saying goes.

#4 - I wonder if we dream about flying because flying is liberating from an unwanted or tense situation in real life...OR we fly in our dreams because both flying AND real-life problems have strong impact on us...OR that flying has a soothing effect on our nerves... OR both...

#5 - Why not?

#6 - Or rather, this story shows how careful we should be when in a strange situation, how careful we should be avoiding making mistakes, because sometimes it takes 30 years to correct our mistakes!

I'm so glad you all liked reading my secrets :)

Beth írta...

My one year anniversary of being smoke free is coming up in a little over a month. I wish I could say I only smoked 3 months of my life, but on a good note -- my teeth and nails are not stained. I'm big into having sparkly whites. lol

6 secrets. Hmm, well, if I told them, they wouldn't be secrets anymore. haha

Chris Eldin írta...

You always have very interesting posts.
I also cannot swim. And now I'm afraid to. Maybe I'll join a class with all the old ladies who swim to loosen up their joints!

Travian sounds really intriguing! I've never heard of it before this. I'll have to google it and learn more.

SzélsőFa írta...

Beth,

my stains have gone once I quitted smoking. I prefer white teeth of course :)

Christine,

There are underswater aerobic classes I've heard. You might want to join one of those.
Travian is addictive.
Besides my workload, travian is the reason for my absence of late here in the blogosphere...

The Quoibler írta...

Szelsofa:

You know, my blog is known, but most people don't read it! :) Sometimes, I think that folks in cyberspace probably know more of my day-in, day-out comings and goings than the people who live in the same town!

Sorry to be such a bit out of the loop lately -- too much work, too little play time!

Angelique

P.S. I've always loved your name. :)

Vesper írta...

A wonderful list of "secrets", Szelsofa - I very much enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing these with us.
You wrote everything in such a plesant and heartwarming way. I especially liked No.6 - it has an almost magical feel... :-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Angelique,

That can be so ture about cyberfriends!
The lady next house may not even assume I'm finding writing poems fun and useful, but it's obvious to friends living many thousands of miles away...

Vesper,

#6 it was a really tough experience. I had to re-live the circumstances, but now I felt I had another chance. It was a great moment.
And one of my burdens I've been carrying is off now.
I'm getting closer to the gates of Heaven :)

Ello - Ellen Oh írta...

Wow what a powerful story. Thanks for sharing. I agree that something that happens in our past can forever shape us for good or bad.

I loved your facts and I can't swim much either!

SzélsőFa írta...

Ello,

I agree: we shape ourselves, even our future ones by doing or not doing something. I feel great relief however, in relation to fact#6.