május 07, 2008

The road and the evil stones

This post is a reflection to the sayings that 'Some blocks of rock on the road to Heaven are mounted by the devil', and 'Devil resides within small details'.
Watch this short video about an invention that is supposed to help lots of people. The official website suggests it is ideal for people who travel much, who don't have time and/or space to grow veggies out in the garden.
It also states "No dirt, no weeds, no mess and no green thumb needed."
Here, we are getting closer.
-
Since when caring about veggies has been a clean-hand job?
Since when has mankind started regarding Earth as something filthy, something to avoid contact with? Since when man regarded himself as superior to any creatures and to life itself?
-
I know - it happened a long time ago.
And see where we are know.
Anyone not seeing we are facing some sort of an ecological...uhm...hiccup...is either blindfolded or fool, or on some substance.
This neat step is one little step on the way to Heaven.
But it definitely was not mounted by love, or God, put it as you will.
-
Okay, here's the video - and let yourself heard in the comments.

16 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

I don't like most of the vegetables so it is not a problem for me.

SzélsőFa írta...

Mwah-hah, Ropi, I wish it was the problem of whether growing or not growing vegetables at home. I feel that it's rather at level 'to be/not to be'...

Bart Treuren írta...

i can understand your reasoning... human logic assumes that humanity is the master of nature instead of his/her being part of it... we lose ourselves in all sorts of technological distractions and try to escape nature in whatever ways possible whilst sensing we cannot survive without due acknowledgement of our natural origins...

i can understand the reasons for such machines, but if they help us in the long run is debatable...

keep well...

steve on the slow train írta...

My lovely wife is a lot like you--loves the spring, likes digging in the dirt, and is successful in producing flowers and vegetables. But there are some of us who don't like digging in the dirt. We don't hate nature--we just aren't good at working with it. I'm afraid I might be just as bad at hydroponics as I am at gardening, though.

So I don't see this as very dangerous, unless we're talking about genetically modified plants. It appears to be just hydroponics, which has been around for a long time. It seems to be amimed at people who want to grow plants, but just don't have the knack for gardening. I can't see it as the first step toward something horrible, like mountaintop removal coal mining.

SzélsőFa írta...

Bart,

thank you for your support!
There is a need for such machines and there are similar machines off all kinds, by the thousand, everywhere. It's the reason behind that is unhelpful.

Steve,

I am very sorry to say this, but I'm truly disappointed by your comment.
Do you really think I blame this particular machine for anything at all?
Do I seem that short-sighted?
Pft.
As I told Bart, it's not this machine. This is just the tip fo the iceberg. On the other hand, it's what behind that is dangerous.
And I understand that not everyone has a will/talent/time to gardening. Those people should NOT garden at all.
That's what farmers markets are. People who do not garden should go there and support FARMERS by buying their produce.
This is another step toward making Earth a barren land.
And I am very well aware that aquaculture has been around for decades.
It's not that either, what I oppose - though I quite oppose that, too.

It's the general idea that man is superior to any other being in this Earth. The idea that man is beyond Nature and that Nature is something to conquer.

As Orwell said in his Animal Farm: 'all creatures are equal, but some are more equal than others.'
You recall the outcome in the story and draw the consequences.

Névtelen írta...

Humanity has been slowly drifting away from reality for a long time. We're not very good at truth. We are very good at orienting to what surrounds us. Unfortunately, what surrounds us is often fantasy (like the city environment I'm sitting in right now).

SzélsőFa írta...

You are partly right Jason, because this is about what we, people following western civilisation see around us.
But it is not the complete picture.
I know of farmers who use tractors and such modern-day equipment, yet are convinced that man is no superior to Earth.

I think there just people who believe man worths more than any other creature in this planet, and then there are those who wish to accommodate to Nature instead.

and it doesn't really matter where you live. It's the approach that counts.

I can not exclude modern technology from my life, but there's a definite limit I draw. By my own will, and upon my own beliefs, I draw the limits.

steve on the slow train írta...

I hope I don't stick my foot in my mouth on this, because I'm really sorry I disappointed you. Part of my problem with your analogy is that I see this device--it's not really a machine--as harmless. It's for apartment dwellers who want to grow lettuce. It's a gimmick, designed to make a profit, but I just can't see it as a link in the chain to a barren earth. Even if it is, these things are likely to be (1) given as gifts and (2) end up in the attic or basement after a few months' use.

Maybe part of it is that there are so many other things--especially here in the States--that are far more threatening. For example, the city planners who design suburbs and shopping centers to encourage driving and discourage walking.

It also seems to me that the question of whether we humans are superior, equal, or inferior to the rest of nature is less important than how we regard our responsibility toward the rest of the planet.

In the Judaeo-Christian-Islamic tradition, we humans have been given dominion over the rest of creation. Some have interpreted this as the right to exploit nature, while others have seen it as a stewardship--a responsibility to conserve and protect it.

I know that the Judeao-Christian-Islamic tradition is not yours. But some three to four billion of your fellow humans adhere to the three Abrahamic faiths. More and more leaders of these faiths have used the stewardship model to reconcile their faith with need to protect the environment.

We may not agree with your view of humanity's place in nature, but on most issues, we'll be your allies.

I like and respect you a great deal. So I hope I haven't offended you by disagreeing with your analogy.

SzélsőFa írta...

In the Judaeo-Christian-Islamic tradition, we humans have been given dominion over the rest of creation.
I'm so glad Steve, that is was you who said that, not me. Because I am well aware that most, if not all my readers share this system of belief. I wish to hurt no one, you see.

If the emphasis is on 'stewardship ', than it is harmless, and can even prove helpful.

(Some time ago, I made a similar comment about anthropology vs. theosophy, on your post about Uriel, btw.)

Beth írta...

Szelsofa, I think at least half of the humans on this planet are raping the earth. Not even by not gardening or eating farm fresh produce, but by the unbelievable waste in their lives and the gluttonous consumption of stuff they don't need.

STuff, stuff, stuff, buy, buy, buy, drive, drive, drive ... don't stop, don't think about what you're doing (especially corporate america) and then you wonder why our earth is dying.

I came by to tell you I went to that site you sent me. I couldn't read it, but the pics were interesting.

SzélsőFa írta...

Beth,

I don't really wonder why Earth is in a bad state, no, not at all.
I'm glad you contributed to this theoretical conversation.

Re: Baranta - I will do a post in the near future about it, and that will be in English :)

Herrick Kimball írta...

Hi Szelsofa-
I have not seen or heard of the AeroGarden until now. Thanks for telling about it. It is impressive in an industrial way . But I have no interest in growing or eating food that was not grown in soil. The whole thing seems sacreligious.

My most recent blog post is somewhat of a rebuttal to this whole concept:
Gardening & Hope in the Springtime

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you, Herrick. Your post you're referring to is a wonderful one. We are not on the same grounds when it comes to the official determination of beliefs, but we couldn't agree more when it comes to actually doing things :)

Chris Eldin írta...

I've never heard of this, but I'm thinking it would be great in deserts (like where I am). Anything to bring nice green vegetation to this putrid brown concrete jungle is okay by me.

That said, I agree with everything else. This is a fascinating topic.

Beth írta...

These are the kinds of topics I enjoy. You think what you say doesn't hit someone and WHAM, you find out your mother wants to stop buying all the paper products. I wish people would just take a look at the earth 100 years ago and now -- how different it is, how consumed it is.

SzélsőFa írta...

Deserts can seem so awfully lack of life Chris, I understand your reasoning.
To be honest, I don't think man should be allowed to live in places like those...
But I know it's much more complicated.
I'm glad you like this topic and our little conversation.

Beth, if people had that chance they would either
run away screaming in shame, OR
be proud of what man achieved.

Sometime I wonder what a look on Earth would feel like a 100 years from now, in the future.

That's what I'd wish people to take a look at.
Not at the past, but at a potential future. A projection if we keep on acting the way we do now. Now that would be horrible.