
Snow upon the cross in the woods
mighty winter night, the Moon above -
'twas a time ago. Sledge a-rattling
carries me through the woods, in a rush
mighty winter night, the Moon above.
My old man, back then was all gleaming,
Singing songs of joy towards the cross,
Son of my old man, that's what I was
Refusing carved idols, fresh and old
Singing songs of joy towards the cross.
Two stubborn calvinists on the sledge
Father and son we flew on, like time
One accepting, other rejecting,
Next to each other, notes of delight
Father and son we flew on, like time.
Memories from a mere score ago,
My sledge in the woods, towards the night
But now I stop to finish my deed,
To bend and honor that cherished sight
My sledge in the woods, towards the night.
6 megjegyzés:
Merry Christmas, Szelsofa!
That's so beautiuful, Szelsofa. The photo and the poem. Thank you for sending me the photo during the holidays... brought a big smile to my heart.
I hope you and your family are enjoying peace and rest together, and looking forward to a very happy and fruitful New Year.
:-)
xoxox
Chris
Thank you Jason and Chris for your good wishes,
we indeed are having some fine family time together.
I'm also wishing my readers a Happy New Year for 2010!
Father and son we flew on, like time.
SzélsőFa, this is really beautiful...
Happy New Year! I hope it brings all the best to you and your loved ones.
xoxoxo
How very beautiful! Thank you for sharing something I would otherwise never have had the pleasure of enjoying. You've done a lovely job in the translation.
Happy New Year, SzelsoFa!
Vesper and Karen,
I'm glad you've both read it and found my translation satisfying. There is a small community of Hungarians who, from time to time choose a poem and translate it to Hungarian. We discuss the different versions. I'm so humbled you both liked it.
Happy New Year to you all!
Megjegyzés küldése