december 03, 2009

St. Nicholaus is coming - is he not?

this is going to be a short post about whether it is appropriate to tell the kids the truth or let them believe what they do believe.
it might not be a short post, after all.
I'm on the run to take my daughter to the folk dance session she attends twice a week and after that, I will check out the latest version of the legos in a local toy shop, with Christmas in my mind, and still after, I will be practising with the chorus, although my head aches like it is about to explode.
and yet after, I might be able to write this post.
I love y'all,
your tree.
but before I go, here's one fantastic piece of music:

Franz Biebl's Ave Maria - these ladies sing like angels. I am truly stunned by their performance.

2 megjegyzés:

Aine írta...

Great question! Our girls (10 and 8) still believe, and we've been wondering whether to let it continue, also. A few days ago, while volunteering at school, I was talking to several of the moms (who also have 10 year-olds) and we were all marvelling that they all still believe. And, that when we were kids, we all knew the truth by the time we were 8.

I wonder if it's a sign of the times. Perhaps kids are so desperate to hang onto the fantasies of childhood in this fast-paced world. Or maybe (and I think this is closer to the truth) we parents are so scared by the way childhood has shortened that we are allowing/contributing to extended childhood fantasy for our kids.

SzélsőFa írta...

I think it must be the second guess.
-
I know of a mother who deliberately chose not to let her child misleaded, so she opted for telling the truth right from the beginning. (yes in a way like 'You know Julia, people tell it's Jesus that brings the Christmas surprises under the tree. don't listen to them. it's us, we buy them in the shop.
I mean, wtf?
this is cruelty and horrifies me. that poor child has to live in a world without fairies... good-spirited little people and all...
poor kid, I say :(