szeptember 17, 2008

Bon appetit

This is a meme about food.
I borrowed it from HERE - thanks for the idea, but yes, I did spice it up by changing the directions, which now are the following:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.

2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten, or are planning to eat in the foreseeable future.
3) Italicize any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Add a special treat at the end by adding 1-2 more to the list that you think probably NOONE ELSE has ever tasted in your circle of friends. Put them at the bottom of your list and mark them with ***s.
5) Mark with a special color those you have prepared at least once at home.
6) Return the f(l)avour by letting me know about you doing this fun meme.


1. Venison

2. Nettle tea (one of my favourite herb tea)

3. Huevos rancheros (it's almost like a normal ham and eggs)

4. Steak tartare

5. Crocodile

6. Black pudding (AKA Blood Sausage)

7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp

9. Borscht

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Calamari - no, but I have tasted shrimps. *shudders*

12. Pho (c'mon, it's broth with veggies!)

13. PB&J sandwich

14. Aloo gobi (basically it's potatoes with cauliflower, topped with cheese and baked in an oven. I'm sure to have made something similar.)

15. Hot dog from a street cart

16. Epoisses (we call them camambert cheese)

17. Black truffle

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

19. Steamed pork buns

20. Pistachio ice cream

21. Heirloom tomatoes (what's the big deal?)

22. Fresh wild berries (anyone has not picked and tasted wild berries in the wild is definitely missing something)

23. Foie gras (a.k.a. goose liver paté. It is traditional in Hungary.)

24. Rice and beans (what? why? why not?)

25. Brawn, or head cheese (again, this is traditional over here)

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper

27. Dulce de leche (it's definitely on my to-do list)

28. Oysters

29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda (as in #27. I love garlic)

31. Wasabi peas

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (one of my favourite when in a restaurant)

33. Salted lassi

34. Sauerkraut (a tradition for winter)

35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea

38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (why do these nasty things accummulate - 4 of them nasties in a row?)

39. Gumbo

40. Oxtail (it makes a brilliant soup)

41. Curried goat (goatmeat smells, I'm sorry)

42. Whole insects (whoa! Hell no!)

43. Phaal - I have not yet tasted it, but I'm not a fan of really hot dishes.

44. Goat’s milk

45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more

46. Fugu

47. Chicken tikka masala (as in #27)

48. Eel

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

50. Sea urchin

51. Prickly pear (see also No. 27. Unfortunately it is not grown in Hungary.)

52. Umeboshi (As with any other, formerly unknown food I did some google search. Uhm...thanks, I'd rather not.)

53. Abalone

54. Paneer

55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini (I think I had a gulp or two like ages ago. That was all)

58. Beer above 8% ABV

59. Poutine (as in No.21)

60. Carob chips

61. S’mores (the result of my google search made my stomach ache. Pffft.)

62. Sweetbreads (Ouch. I do eat liver, testicles, but this is waaay too much)

63. Kaolin (The one who put kaolin on the list of food was surely kidding. It's like saying:lime powder. Or ground bricks.)

64. Currywurst (see also Sweetbread. Plus, my father used to work in a meat factory. He used to tell me stories about how this kind of stuff is made to look acceptable. Trust me. This is not food. Real muscles and eggs, bacon and all - those can't deceive you. But a wurst is a potentially dangerous mix in disguise.)
65. Durian (Have not. Why not?)

66. Frogs’ legs

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake (I felt google just puked a picture of it onto my monitor. Blah. I'd rather stay hungry)

68. Haggis (Have not. Why not - a home-made real haggis can not be bad, after all.)

69. Fried plantain (I thought bananas were made sweet...)

70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (hmmmm....unsure. Some days I'd say yes.

71. Gazpacho (the best soup for a hot summer day)

72. Caviar and blini

73. Louche absinthe

74. Gjetost, or brunost (This is yet to come, but I'd love to meet a specimen along my life. I like old cheese.)
75. Roadkill

76. Baijiu

77. Hostess Fruit Pie

78. Snail

79. Lapsang souchong

80. Bellini

81. Tom yum (I don't think I have tried it, but...why not?)

82. Eggs Benedict (another item aspiring for *the silliest item on the list* award)

83. Pocky (I mean...are those edible?)

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant

85. Kobe beef (No, to my greatest sorrow. I'd love to, yes, yes!)

86. Hare

87. Goulash (mwah-hah-hah. I'm from Hungary, remember? But I bet there are many types of goulashes all over the world. And in Hungary, there are as many types as households. Even the goulashes I make are different from one another)

88. Flowers

89. Horse (horse meat is put into sausages, so, it's far too obvious again)

90. Criollo chocolate (I have not tried, but I'm a fan of pure chocolates)

91. Spam (uhm... are those edible?)

92. Soft shell crab

93. Rose harissa (looks/sounds like fun)

94. Catfish

95. Mole poblano (No encounters here as well, but the pictures look yummy)

96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor

98. Polenta

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

100. Snake

101. Cleansed intestines of a chicken in a soup. ***

102. Blackbird.***

9 megjegyzés:

Vesper írta...

How interesting, Szelsofa! The foods we like can tell a lot about us. :-)

"Cleansed intestines of a chicken in a soup" - what is that?! :-) :-) :-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Uhm...the guts, you know those long inner parts that lead between the mouth down to the cloaca.
We have tasted it only once, and left the bottom parts out (those that are above the stomach)
When slaughtering a chicken, you basically remove the guts, but some of them are edible. We here in Hungary consider the liver, the heart edible and the braver ones eat the testicles and the ovary as well.
We(=our family), being braver than the average Hungarian, tried the taste of the intestines as well. After a good amount of washing we put them inside the chicken soup along with other body parts.
Well, they were edible.
There might be times when one has to make use every potentially edible part of an animal. Who knows? It is good that we tried them. We are not eating it again, but if bad times come, one might have to eat those less-favoured items as well.
When really bad times come (like a war) you won't be able to say no to anything slightly edible.

Aine írta...

This is an interesting list. I may just have to use this as my first meme...
:)

PS-- Smores are wonderful, really!

Chris Eldin írta...

Crocodile?
:-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Memes are useful things at many levels, Aine.
No smores for me, but thanks for the info :)

Chris,
well...almost anything is edible...at least once...

Vesper írta...

Thank you for your answer. Interesting... And you are right about times when one might have to eat anything that's edible...
We eat chicken liver, heart and gizzard - also pork intestines are used to make sausages, aren't they?

steve on the slow train írta...

S'mores are really popular here because of the memories. Any woman who was a Girl Scout made S'mores at camp. If she had good memories of Girl Scout camp, she'll be nostalgic about S'mores. If you substituted high-cocoa dark chocolate for the Hershey bar, vanilla fondant for the marshmallow, and used homemade Graham crackers with 100 percent whole wheat flour, they'd be wonderful. But they wouldn't be S'mores.

I've had menudo, which is a Mexican soup with tripe, but I've never ventured to try chitterlings. But I still dream of the fried calamari I had in Rome.

Your meme reminds me that I was going to write about two very American dishes--chop suey and Germanh (actually German's) chocolate cake, both of which originated in San Francisco.

SzélsőFa írta...

Vesper,

gizzard and the heart, yes - we eat those, too. Some venture into eating the lungs as well...
May those times never come one prays...

Yes, you are absolutely right about sausages.

Steve,

I see now the thing about S'mores. Nostalgy is an important motivator.

Cattletripe is eaten here as well. It is made as a paprika stew.

Please write about food, Steve. By its name, I thought Chop suey was Chinese or of some Asian origin. Interesting. I'd love to read those posts.

Névtelen írta...

Whole insects??

I think I would italicize parts of insects on my list too.