szeptember 02, 2008

update with photos

We've returned from this event almost a month ago - but I've been absent from the blogosphere. Now I'm catching up: visiting your blogs, trying to recollect my thoughts, gathering my old self; where there is a new one, too.
It shall be a peaceful merge, I know.
-
Last weekend we had our 20th High School Reunion Evening. This is an event when former classmates meet and inform each other about their fate since highschool years. This time the evening went well beyond a shallow informative meeting. Those who cared to visit the bittersweet rejoice, had a great time together.
We refreshed some of the old events, but we also peeked into each other's present-day soul.
-
The photos below were made during the Kurultaj (see the post right below):

There were vendors allowed in the area. This is a picture of a cake made especially for the occassion.


There were horsemen of various kinds. These are short-legged smaller horses. Neither saddles, nor any other instruments are used.

Yurts under the mighty August sky.


13 megjegyzés:

iLL Man írta...

Welcome back to the world of blog.

I have a new one set up. I think you'll like it.....

SzélsőFa írta...

I did take a glimpse of your blog the day before and I enjoyed the news and the photos, too!

Névtelen írta...

I love that last photo, with everyone holding the various flags.

20th High School reunion sounds like a good time. I have yet to have one (we would be approaching 20 years in 2010). I don't know what's wrong with my class. The funny thing is I have been experiencing a mini-reunion at Facebook. It's a very interesting development.

Névtelen írta...

Those reunions feel bittersweet to me. An important moment to reflect.

Névtelen írta...

Well It would be interesting to see my classmates 22 years older or myself. Probably I will be grey haired by that time because my mother told me that his uncle has the same kind of hair and he was visibly grey by his mid 20's.

SzélsőFa írta...

Paul,

That is supposed to represent the various tribes of Hungary I guess, but actually it represented various groups of the present-day Hungary, who all wish to save our traditions, but all in a different way. Some do it by practicing a certain kind of horsemanship, some by doing old types of martial arts, some by using the shaman-drums.
Actually, Hungarians do not have *shamans*, since those people are called taltos-s in Hungarian.

Jason,

I see how reunions can feel bitter, and I'm sure some of us felt sort of uncomfortable during the evening. I guess some of the class did not show up due to this feeling.
But I don't think it is necessary. Life moves on, and we change.
Youth comes and goes, but it's only our bodies, and bodies decay anyway, who cares.
I found that many of my former classmates have become wiser and/or more tolerant with age, and that is a very good sign.

Ropi,

I have started having grey hair at the age of 27.
Now I have about 25-50 ones.
My husband has started getting bald when he was about 30...? Was he 25?

Chris Eldin írta...

Welcome back to the blogosphere!
:-)

I face my 25th reunion this year. You're right--bittersweet is the perfect word.

Vesper írta...

Welcome back, Szelsofa.
Very nice, very interesting photos!

SzélsőFa írta...

Chris,
There are so many things to be happy about many others to lament on, both of the past and the present...Reunions can be great opportunities for some introspection and serious, almost meditative conversation...

I hope yours goes just as well!
Please let us know 'bout that!

Vesper,
I'm glad you liked them.
The are more photos of the puszta a few posts earlier.

Névtelen írta...

Well as far as I know he was a bit younger than 25 when it started. I have had a few grey hairs but I pulled them out but after a time I got bored if it because they are visible only when my hair is longer and you really look for them. But not many people know my dark secret so it is fine.

SzélsőFa írta...

Uhm...it's not a dark secret, it's a grey secret, rather :)))

But I don't think you should worry about that. Worry makes more grey hair, you know. Some people get completely grey just oevernight - when in serious trouble or stress. Like during war or under similar horrible circumstances.

Bart Treuren írta...

hey, my last comment seems to have disappeared... i just wanted to say that i'd love to see you but don't have your email address any more for whatever reason... could you contact me at barttr@yahoo.com

keep well...

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you Bart!
I will.