január 25, 2008

work

I'm translating a text for a short educative video about blah...blah.. subjects.
Don't ask - they are boring.
Basically, it is a video and it speaks English. I'm putting down what I'm hearing and then translate the text to Hungarian. The end product will either be dubbed or subtitled. That's out of my reach and competence. I just translate the text.
-
I have never done video translations before. I was just wondering how different these texts (that are designed to be heard or read as subtitles) should be to those that are supposed to be read from a monitor or from paper.
If the text is to be understood - I should keep it as simple as possible. No back search, or quick looking ups for forgotten words or references are allowed. When you're reading a book, these come as natural aids. But when you are hearing the text plus there's a video to turn your attention away from the meaning, text has to be more precise and to-the-point.
-
For the time being, I try to focus on my work.

5 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Work.

Not an easy focus for me either.

SzélsőFa írta...

Half of my day was spent with idle browsing of the internet. When I worked finally, I did that all right. At least something I canpat my shoulders for.
I am no saint - I can't seem to find energy in the inside of me. Energy and inspiration, a willing, laughing force of life.
Where are they now?

Névtelen írta...

Well, you must be great at English and Hungarian if you get tasks like that. I don't really like dubbed movies because the mouth of the charater moves strange. Or the voice doesn't fit to the mouth.

Chris Eldin írta...

This sounds hard. I would find myself daydreaming....

Good luck getting it done quickly!

:-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Ropi,

this is not exactly a movie, you know. It is an informative little film about the EU's energy projects.
But when it comes to films I like the best when it speaks English AND dubbed English as well :)
Movies are useful sources for those who learn English.

Church Lady,

I did daydream and day-suffer and day-agonize quite a lot. I am not quite well, you know.
But finally, after (almost) having translated all the THREE small films, I found their transcript with Google.
Google's man's best friend :)