január 18, 2008

Stuff

Dear all,
right now I'm loaded up to my neck and above with jobs to do.
I have to translate a power-point presentation that is on the web here:
http://ec.europa.eu/cip/presentation_en.htm
and have to write a text to these videos: http://ec.europa.eu/energy/intelligent/library/videos_en.htm

I wish I had the job to translate a fiction novel instead.
-
Well, I have some other stuff!

The story of stuff.
Watch it HERE. - And yes, do watch it.

It seems that there is a bug in the video somewhere in Chapter 'Consumption' at perceived obsclescence. Planned and perceived obscolescence are theories a reasonable and ecologically conscious minds must have come up with at some point of their lives, but now it is supported by facts. I love this animated short film.

Annie speaks about the USA, but don't get me wrong - things are pretty much similar everywhere in the so called 'developed' world.

My kids watched the film too. We paused the film every now and then, translated the text, but basically the drawings are quite excellent to convey the meaning.

These are the drawings my kids made:



4 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Well, I am not sure kinds should watch movies like that. When I was little I watched Dexter's Laboratory, Scooby Doo, bugs Bunny and things like that.

SzélsőFa írta...

Ropi,
they do not watch similar movies on a daily basis. Mostly our kids watch 'Kockásfülű nyúl', 'Kisvakond', 'Macskafogó', 'Dr. Bubó' - and stuff like that. Good old Hungarian cartoons. I do not expose them to any other cartoon, if I have the chance. Of course they are allowed to watch those American cartoons as well when they are with friends, but most of the time they watch those that I have mentioned.
Re: eco-movies: See also my comment in the post below, my answer to Church Lady.

Névtelen írta...

There is a lot truth in it but I would still be careful.

SzélsőFa írta...

You are right: No parent would make his kid face cruelty/sadness/politics. With this short film, we did, but we explained them all the things during the course of the film, and besides, both I and my husband are working towards an ecologically more stable future. This is our profession. We are devoted to ecological issues, our everyday is filled with ecological concerns. This is not really news to our kids.