december 11, 2007

Lions unite

I am humbled: The Shameless Lions Writing Circle, via Church Lady has given me the award called 'A Roar For Powerful Words'!


I would like to express my thanks to Church Lady for acknowledging my efforts.


I like that she says I have an earthy spirit - this is one of the nicest compliments I have ever been given. Plus, as a dedicated pagan this means oh-so-much to me. She likes my creativity and freshness - well, I like those as well, provided, there's any within me.


I have grown enough inside now to cast this praise away and say I'm not worth it...There were times when I acted like this. But as I grew more mature, I take it with a little blush and try to keep on working and living up to this standard.


Thank you, Church Lady!


Now, there's something about the award:

It was founded by Seamus Kearney. It's aim is to find, initiate and celebrate high-quality and powerful writing.

I am now to give three main characteristics I find of utmost importance in writing.

These are:



1. Depth and outcome and a potential help. There's no use reading/writing about things/people/events that do not explore some parts of the human (or other) soul. No matter how light or serious the subject of the writing is, no matter how long or short the writing is, it has to have a message and preferably, a positive one. Some encouragement. Some pshycological insight. Some help. Otherwise, one might grab and read a manual or a telephone book as well. Violence and pain is accepted - it's not that I can not tolerate them. But they have to have a well grounded meaning within the story. Perhaps it's not right to focus on this point, but meaningless violence and evil in writing hurts and spreads discomfort. And it does not help fight against violence.




2. A careful selection of words. I like when there are exciting or even exotic words in a writing, but...enough is enough. Since I consider myself more of a poet-in-training than a writer of prose, I like new combinations and expressions that make themselves resonate within the reader's mind. I like when reading a poem I feel the need to read it aloud for more pleasure.



3. Accuracy and determination. A purpose. Uhm, I'm sort of confused... How to put it? A writing that comes from true inspiration, that was fished from deep within, was written with honesty, not for a special market but to fulfill the need to write it. The relief the writer must have felt. It's even better when the reader gets some of this alleviation of pains.


And now, here are my list of bloggers/writers I wish to give the award to:


1. Vesper. Her words are powerful. My favourite poem by her is this. Please follow the link. But even when, for whatever reason, her voice is not that peaceful, the reader does get the meaning. She carefully plays with words and forms of poetry.

2. Bernita Harris. She makes readers think. She makes readers think about writing in general and also, she helps working out on some minor details as well. It's not that she provides readers with complex solutions - but she opens up our eyes to look and find and look and find again with the final goal of improving ourselves.

3. Jason Evans. He's quite complex talent provides readers with powerful writings including, but not limited to poetry, vignettes and short stories. I also heart his contests, but most of all I like his attention towards his readers. (The same goes to Bernita and Vesper as well!)

4. Paul at Strugglingwriter. He's definitely got that 'cheerful' touch to his writing. He's down-to-earth mentality is combined with spirituality and kindness. Too bad that his prose is hardly available in this site of his. Readers would clearly need more :)

5. Steve on the Slow Train. I have to admit that I do not read all of his posts. Shame on me, I know. His honesty and dedication toward any topic shows through his writing. His words are powerful. He digs deep and presents us with his findings. Most, if not all of his entries are non-fiction. Well, I love non fiction just as much as I do fiction.
Thank you again, and spread the word!

12 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Wow. Thanks for that. I really appreciate it.

As far as the lack of prose - I am trying. :)

Bernita írta...

I am honoured.
Thank you, Szelsofa.

Vesper írta...

Congratulations, Szelsofa! A well deserved award for you. I find the three things you've listed as being of utmost importance for a writer as very good.

Thank you so much for thinking of me! :-) I feel honoured and humbled. I've received it a while ago from another blogger, but I'm very glad to have it again and use the opportunity to give it to other worthy writers. Thank you, Szelsofa! :-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Strugglingwriter,

Yes, you should provide us with more to the fun and insight of your writing.

Bernita,

you're welcome.

Vesper,

you know...I had some hard times finding my threes, for I have read other people's threes as well and I found them all important.
But finally I had mine version, too.

Névtelen írta...

An earth spirit. That's perfect! I second that. A fitting description indeed.

Thank you for the honor, Szelsofa! You've been a most valued blog writer/reader. I'm always eager for the new cultural perspectives you bring to me. Hopefully, I offer the same in return. But what shines the most is how much we all have in common, regardless of country or culture.

Chris Eldin írta...

I love reading your writings, Szelsofa.
I clicked on Vesper's poem, and agree that it's beautiful. I'll have to add her to my list of readings...

Chris Eldin írta...

Something very important---How did you change the color of the award?!
You Hungarians are too clever.
:-)

SzélsőFa írta...

Jason,

I like being accepted for what I am with a careful help to improve myself. And I got all those from your and from fellow bloggers as well. This means a lot to me. Thank you!

Church Lady,

That is one peaceful poem isn't it?
The color? Heee.
I opened the photo in some Photopaint or other built-in program of my computer and set Effects/Negative - one of the most easiest features of these simple programs.
You know I dislike purple, pink or anything similar.
While their negative is quite pleasing to the eye.

Névtelen írta...

congratulations

SzélsőFa írta...

E.R.,
Thank you!

Abhinav írta...

Congratulations Szelsofa!!! A very nice selection of blogs. I especially love Struggling Writer and Jason's blogs. BTW this is Jason's second lion. Sarah who participated with us at the restless dawn fiction contest also gave him a shameless lion. But we all know that Jason deserves all the lions for fostering such a closely knit community of which I am now a part.
P.S.:- Was stuck in the mess of my personal life. Have just emerged and returned to blogs.

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you Abhinav!

Jason must be having quite a number of lions I suppose :))))
And the creation and maintenance of a community is one of his strong points, I agree.

ps: I'm glad you have more free time now.
I suggest you to take a look at Bernita's contest.