for a short introduction, scroll down for Hi, I'm Pedro (part one and two).
if you want to skip it, that's okay. just read the four parts, and have fun answering the questions at the end.
---
Four Women in The Night (4*250 words)
Part 1. Thomas
His hands waving, Thomas walked loosely towards the bartender.
- Fine evening, huh?
The girl poured the drink, smiled, and returned to duty.
- So, how things’re going?
Thomas swung his arm, pushed himself up the counter and jumped on top. His tone was relaxed, with a sense of authority. He set his eyes on Laura’s.
A guy arrived.
Thomas eyed the newcomer. Then he leaned on his left elbow.
- I hear there’s a bar a few blocks down here. How’bout checking it out?
Laura was preparing pizza.
- Uhm, sorry, I’m quite busy now.
Thomas grinned, but his face was calm and soon he was smiling again. He moved the bowl of peanuts to the center of the counter and leaned even closer.
- I see, but this weekend sure is fine by you, hm?
He looked deep into the girl’s eyes. He was really close now.
Another guy appeared. His hands almost touched Thomas’s.
- Hey, watch yourself – Thomas exclaimed. - I have some business here and you disturb me.
The young man uttered something about working hard.
Thomas laughed at him and turned towards Laura.
- My dear, how about this weekend?
The young man abrupted again with some stupid remarks.
The girl was busy working and hardly focused on Thomas, so she asked:
- I’m sorry?
- This weekend, sure it’ll be fine, huh?
- I’m afraid, not.
Thomas raised his eyebrows:
- Next weekend?
Laura was calm.
- I’m sorry, but no.
Part 2. Orlando
Orlando arrived. He stood at the entrance for a while. He stood solidly, both feet on the ground.
There was only one man at the bar, sitting atop the left side of the counter.
Orlando approached. His steps were firm and deliberate, as if he was using space on purpose. He got to the counter and took the rightmost end of it. His soft hands rested on the shiny surface.
The other man looked at him, but Orlando averted his eyes.
With a calm tone in his voice, he greeted the girl behind the counter, and asked for something to eat.
- Tonight we have special pizzas. You may want to try them.
- You got me nterested. What toppings can I have, please?
Laura listed the possibilities.
Orlando watched her face. He listened carefully for her words.
The man on the left kept talking. He even pushed the peanuts to the middle, but Orlando did care to touch them. He was waiting for his pizza.
- Thank you.
Laura smiled back at him.
Someone else appeared.
A debate has started between the newcomer and the one sitting on the counter.
Orlando listened to their arguments. At times he stole glimpses at their movements, too.
Then he returned to look at the bartender. Head slightly tilted, he smiled.
- What are your plans for the future?
The girl smiled back.
- There are possibilities – she started but was interrupted by a noise. Laura turned around and adjusted the machine.
Part 3. Eric
Eric was waiting beside his coffee, while someone entered and headed to the bar. This man was soon gesturing wildly, leaning towards the girl. The girl was busy. She hardly seemed to stop.
Later on, another entered and took his place by the counter. The second man was relaxed. The girl was replying a lot to the first man, but attended the second one more frequently.
Rising from behind, Eric moved forward. He focused on the girl. He took the middle position between the two men. The one sitting on the counter spat that he should better mind his own business and harshly brushed Eric’s arms away.
Eric explained:
- I’m here just as right as anyone. Just look at how hard she’s working. Doing her best to serve us here and you are disgracing her.
The man on his left cared no attention to him.
The girl put the sandwich on a clay plate. Eric slowly pulled it closer and looked into Laura’s eyes. - Thank you.
His voice was deep. The girl returned his look. A smile was emerging, but instead she blushed and returned to her duties.
Eric ate the sandwich bit by bit. He was not hurried at all.
The man on the left kept picking on him, and at times he replied, which seemed to have bothered his rival.
- Man, I don’t want no trouble. Behave yourself and respect the lady.
Laura looked Eric once again.
A deep breath was on the rise.
Part 4. Laura (an interview)
- The first one was Thomas. What do you think of him?
- He had a definite man-like aura around him. He was confident. He was open about his intentions.
---
Four Women in The Night (4*250 words)
Part 1. Thomas
His hands waving, Thomas walked loosely towards the bartender.
- Fine evening, huh?
The girl poured the drink, smiled, and returned to duty.
- So, how things’re going?
Thomas swung his arm, pushed himself up the counter and jumped on top. His tone was relaxed, with a sense of authority. He set his eyes on Laura’s.
A guy arrived.
Thomas eyed the newcomer. Then he leaned on his left elbow.
- I hear there’s a bar a few blocks down here. How’bout checking it out?
Laura was preparing pizza.
- Uhm, sorry, I’m quite busy now.
Thomas grinned, but his face was calm and soon he was smiling again. He moved the bowl of peanuts to the center of the counter and leaned even closer.
- I see, but this weekend sure is fine by you, hm?
He looked deep into the girl’s eyes. He was really close now.
Another guy appeared. His hands almost touched Thomas’s.
- Hey, watch yourself – Thomas exclaimed. - I have some business here and you disturb me.
The young man uttered something about working hard.
Thomas laughed at him and turned towards Laura.
- My dear, how about this weekend?
The young man abrupted again with some stupid remarks.
The girl was busy working and hardly focused on Thomas, so she asked:
- I’m sorry?
- This weekend, sure it’ll be fine, huh?
- I’m afraid, not.
Thomas raised his eyebrows:
- Next weekend?
Laura was calm.
- I’m sorry, but no.
Part 2. Orlando
Orlando arrived. He stood at the entrance for a while. He stood solidly, both feet on the ground.
There was only one man at the bar, sitting atop the left side of the counter.
Orlando approached. His steps were firm and deliberate, as if he was using space on purpose. He got to the counter and took the rightmost end of it. His soft hands rested on the shiny surface.
The other man looked at him, but Orlando averted his eyes.
With a calm tone in his voice, he greeted the girl behind the counter, and asked for something to eat.
- Tonight we have special pizzas. You may want to try them.
- You got me nterested. What toppings can I have, please?
Laura listed the possibilities.
Orlando watched her face. He listened carefully for her words.
The man on the left kept talking. He even pushed the peanuts to the middle, but Orlando did care to touch them. He was waiting for his pizza.
- Thank you.
Laura smiled back at him.
Someone else appeared.
A debate has started between the newcomer and the one sitting on the counter.
Orlando listened to their arguments. At times he stole glimpses at their movements, too.
Then he returned to look at the bartender. Head slightly tilted, he smiled.
- What are your plans for the future?
The girl smiled back.
- There are possibilities – she started but was interrupted by a noise. Laura turned around and adjusted the machine.
Part 3. Eric
Eric was waiting beside his coffee, while someone entered and headed to the bar. This man was soon gesturing wildly, leaning towards the girl. The girl was busy. She hardly seemed to stop.
Later on, another entered and took his place by the counter. The second man was relaxed. The girl was replying a lot to the first man, but attended the second one more frequently.
Rising from behind, Eric moved forward. He focused on the girl. He took the middle position between the two men. The one sitting on the counter spat that he should better mind his own business and harshly brushed Eric’s arms away.
Eric explained:
- I’m here just as right as anyone. Just look at how hard she’s working. Doing her best to serve us here and you are disgracing her.
The man on his left cared no attention to him.
The girl put the sandwich on a clay plate. Eric slowly pulled it closer and looked into Laura’s eyes. - Thank you.
His voice was deep. The girl returned his look. A smile was emerging, but instead she blushed and returned to her duties.
Eric ate the sandwich bit by bit. He was not hurried at all.
The man on the left kept picking on him, and at times he replied, which seemed to have bothered his rival.
- Man, I don’t want no trouble. Behave yourself and respect the lady.
Laura looked Eric once again.
A deep breath was on the rise.
Part 4. Laura (an interview)
- The first one was Thomas. What do you think of him?
- He had a definite man-like aura around him. He was confident. He was open about his intentions.
- Does it mean you liked him?
- Well, not exactly. He invaded my space, my physical world. He got very close. He thought too much of himself. He directly looked at my body, which I found rude. He looked fine and all but he was pushing himself too much.
- How was Orlando?
- Wow, the second guy was cool. Smooth and intellectual.
- What did you like about him?
- He was kind and paid attention to me. To what I said and how I said. He listened. He got the brains. He was a challenge to my mind somehow. Yes, I liked him.
- How do you think a relationship between you and Orlando would turn out (provided you chose him)?
- Calm and relaxing. Fine.
- And what about Eric?
- Strange. He just turned up - out of nowhere. But he acted as if he had been around here like a hunter waiting for prey.
- Like… offensive?
- No, he was cool! His manners overwhelmed me.
- Was he soft?
- Hm, no. Strange, isn’t it? He praised the way I was doing my job, he watched me, but he was not pushing it.
And he had that look, that shine in his eyes. There was passion inside. He reached for my soul.
- Well, not exactly. He invaded my space, my physical world. He got very close. He thought too much of himself. He directly looked at my body, which I found rude. He looked fine and all but he was pushing himself too much.
- How was Orlando?
- Wow, the second guy was cool. Smooth and intellectual.
- What did you like about him?
- He was kind and paid attention to me. To what I said and how I said. He listened. He got the brains. He was a challenge to my mind somehow. Yes, I liked him.
- How do you think a relationship between you and Orlando would turn out (provided you chose him)?
- Calm and relaxing. Fine.
- And what about Eric?
- Strange. He just turned up - out of nowhere. But he acted as if he had been around here like a hunter waiting for prey.
- Like… offensive?
- No, he was cool! His manners overwhelmed me.
- Was he soft?
- Hm, no. Strange, isn’t it? He praised the way I was doing my job, he watched me, but he was not pushing it.
And he had that look, that shine in his eyes. There was passion inside. He reached for my soul.
---
QUESTIONS for my kind readers:
question1 - who did you think won Laura's heart? (why? - optinal)
question2 - which one did you think i played?
question3- any comments on the play, the writing itself, technical remarks, whatever (optional, but recommended)
-
bonus music: dead can dance's yulunga.
11 megjegyzés:
This is interesting... I'm not sure I can answer your questions, but I shall try... :-)
1. I think she probably chose Eric. Thomas invaded her space, and Orlando was "smooth and intellectual." Eric is, in a way, a more subdued combination of the two. (But now I'm thinking... Is this what Laura would choose or what I would? Hmmm...)
2. Eric?
3. I find you "painted" the portraits well, with the right details.
And I'm looking forward to finding out the correct answers. :-)
Thank you Vesper,
for playing along, even if you said it wasn' exactly your cup of broccoli soup.
i acknowledge that you answered and tought about all the questions!
and now, the truth is...
***SPOILER ALERT***
1.correct
and yes, i understood who ELSE would have probably chosen him, too.
:PPP
2. false
*MAJOR SPOILER*
Laura
3. thanks. I tried to write the portraits with as little emotion from their part, as possible. i wanted to be an onlooker.
(I didn't read any spoilers!..)
1. I would have chosen Orlando, but I think Laura chose Eric. And I probably should learn from her... LOL!
2. Okay-- I have two thoughts for this question. If you were told to seriously try to connect with Laura and do what you want, then I'd guess that you played Eric. But if you were given a script or told what "type" of guy to play, then my guess is Thomas. My instincts tell me you were Thomas (based on your comments in "Hi, I'm Pedro (part two)")
Ha!! You got me-- I didn't even consider that you played Laura! I guess I "read into" your comments about not wanting to tell us who you played as containing a bit of embarrassment... :P
Aine,
first of all, thanks for playing fair :)
1. correct
i think laura was swept away by her emotions. perhaps orlando would have been a better option for the long time. but this was not the task. laura had to choose one that grabbed her the most at that very instant.
2.it's interesting what you say about my entry 'Hi, I'm Pedro (part two)' and my being Thomas. to be honest, i don't really understand it:S
To ALL READERS
we had no script to stick to.
players had to rely on their instinct.
three of us were told to act as if he was a man trying to get the girl (perhaps for just one night), and the one who played Laura was told to watch them and decide whose strategy was the best for her.
Thomas said he went for a strategy he disliked the most in men. He said that if he had displayed his true self, Laura would have chosen him.
Orlando said he tried to stay cool, a bit manipulative, a bit kind - he was new to role playing I guess.
Eric said he used the tactic that usually pays off with girls. Which is to wait until he's got enough information and then bang...he enters and robs the girls' heart.
hee hee.
Laura said she never actually behaved, moved and walked like Laura did.
go figure.
I think she would choose Orlando, but really wanted Eric more. Orlando sounds like he would be the more approachable one. The easier one with whom to establish a comfort mixed with attraction. But Eric lit something by his mystery.
Which did you play? Wow, I have no guess. Well, that's not true. I guess Eric.
great insight here, Jason
:))
much appreciated!
Laura did feel comfortable with Orlando, but mystery, passion, or the promise of those sometimes overrule common sense. perhaps Laura wanted a one night stand and not a long term relationship as well. i don't know of her intentions :PPP
she chose Eric.
i played Laura.
thank you for playing!!!
reading your responses added more to the fun!
Look how much you're writing now?! Very cool. I think it's perfect, I like 'your voice', I've said that before.
thank you, Some Chilean Woman,
this was an exercise i set upon myself. i liked it, too.
I would have guessed you played Laura.
I think it was the word "passion" that tipped me.
Thank you Bernita for playing!
your guess was correct.
passion, yes - a key word.
Megjegyzés küldése