március 26, 2009

Bravery

A friend of mine asked me a favour to translate a poem written in Hungarian by one of her friends. I do not usually translate poems, apart from those I write - this request found me by surprise.
-
The title is Bravery - as is my action. Your comments are welcomed.
-

Bravery

Definitions are lost.
My love, this is where we are -
Nothingness.
Poles and meat hooks.
Frozen kids emerging from stained loops.

To my table, you are invited,
see - I have no manners.
My head is turned
away with the shrubs upon your plate
no one is supposed to
order.

Come, come into the woods,
let the rain wash us through the dirt
A stillness waits where
hedgehogs rush
from swamps -
and no questions are needed

7 megjegyzés:

steve on the slow train írta...

One English peculiarity--nobody is one word, but no one is two. I think it's because of the double o, which would mean it would be pronounced like "noon."

Your translation made me think of Lawrence Ferlinghetti, especially the last stanza. There's a kind of logical absurdity that reminds me of Ferlinghetti and the Beats.

SzélsőFa írta...

Thank you Steve, I will adjust the spelling to no one.
I guess I've just followed the way the words 'someone' and 'anyone' are written.

I have not heard of the person you mentioned, but that's what google is for :)
There was a certain kind of absurdity throughout the whole poem, though.
It was quite a challenge.

steve on the slow train írta...

Lisa had posted a Chagall painting on her Facebook page, and it reminded me of this--so I've got Felinghetti on the brain:

************************

Don’t let that horse
eat that violin


cried Chagall’s mother


But he
kept right on
painting


And became famous


And kept on painting
The Horse With Violin In Mouth


And when he finally finished it
he jumped up upon the horse
and rode away
waving the violin


And then with a low bow gave it
to the first naked nude he ran across



And there were no strings
attached.
************************
The arrangement on the page is a little different.

Vesper írta...

How interesting... I like it!
And now I'll have to find out about Lawrence Ferlinghetti too. :-)

Chris Eldin írta...

I'm not sure I understand it, but it definitely evokes a dark mood. I love the last line in particular.

SzélsőFa írta...

wow, thanks Steve, for the experience. Strange, indeed.

Vesper and Chris,
I'm glad you somehow liked it. There is a definite dark feeling behind the lines...that was what I was trying to convey.

Hoodie írta...

Szelsofa - I've missed my friends.
Come visit me.