október 07, 2008

Reflections of a summer

Dear all, before I disappear into The Netherlands between 8-13 October, I finally managed to upload our photos to our computer. Here they are, I hope you enjoy them.

---

First of all, we had lots of chicken.

We found tha many of our young hens wished to have their own litter so they started brooding. Modern technologies de-select this ability and those unfortunate little chicken all hatch in incubators, without a caring mother. But there are many people, who keep animals the traditional way. It's their choice and ours as well. It does matter where and what you buy.


Older and non-purebreed varieties however, do tend to lay a certain number of eggs and then start sitting over the eggs. Below are two of our Japanese-mixed brooding hens with their respective little flock/litter (?)



The black one (called Korom) is the dominant. She and her chicks are being fed from a plate. The barred one (Pincebogár) approaches, and notices the food.



Pincebogár keeps coming closer but she is afraid. She's mimicking a fake attack, with wings streched out, she wishes to appear bigger than she really is. Korom does not seem to care about her at all. She is relaxed, she has absolutely no fear of the other hen.
Below is a close ups of the feeding. They are given hard-boiled eggs, for the protein replacement.

Baby chicken are extremely fragile. Their legs are like threads. From time to time, they fall asleep in the middle of any activity, as this one, while standing on the plate. This is normal.




Summer also meant the continuation of the renovations in and around the house. I am standing here below in our kitchen-to-be, and mark where the electric outlets should be. Yes, those are arrows stuck into the ground. Those are supposed to mark where the sink, kitchen cabinets, and other utilities should be. We were playing a plan-a-kitchen, you know :). Practically speaking, I'm standing stand where the dishwasher will stand.



This is my DH, plastering the wall beside the front door, from the inside of the house. Note the ceiling. It's all hand made and wooden.

As for social activities, I had my 20 year high school class reunion. This photo was made in the restaurant. I am not on the photo. We had a nice quiet evening. It started with everyone telling his/her story of the past 20 years. Only classmates and former teachers were invited. Many of the class lives abroad, and one of them was here via a webcam from NYC. Zsuzsa was my best girlfriend in high school and now her husband (also Hungarian) is working at the Columbia University. She also studied and became a PhD in chemistry (was is physics?), but what with four kids...She's now an assistant to his husband. I miss her.


This is a close up of the dinner table - an all you can eat, partly supplied by us.
That's all for now.
Tomorrow 4PM our bus's heading North.
Bart, here I come.
Cheers,
SzF.

6 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

Have fun in the Netherlands.

Névtelen írta...

Thank you for more windows into your life. :) I enjoyed the chick pictures! And also the work in progress and reunion.

Have a wonderful time, Szelsofa!

Aine írta...

I love the sleeping chick! How funny! You must be endlessly entertained by watching all the chicken behaviors.

Can't wait to see the "after" pictures. Renovation is so much work but the result is a wonderful space to live in.

Have a fantastic trip!
:)

Chris Eldin írta...

Have fun, Szelsofa!! I love the pic of you building a house.
:-)
The peeps aren't too bad to look at either...
:-)

steve on the slow train írta...

You're in the midst of your journey as I write this, so I hope you're having a great time. One bizarre peculiarity of the English language--the plural of deer is deer, but chicken takes a regular plural ending, chickens. "We had lots of chicken" would mean "We ate lots of chicken meat." You may have done that as well.

With chicken, the animal and the meat are the same, except that the meat never takes a plural. Most of the time, we use the Germanic word for the animal and a French-rooted word for its meat--cow/beef, deer/venison, sheep/mutton, calf/veal, pig/pork.

So much for the crazy English language. I'll be looking forward to reading about the Netherlands. The old joke is that there are no windmills in Holland. Maybe you can prove otherwise.

SzélsőFa írta...

Ropi,

thank you!

Jason,

I thought posting some chicken pictures would be fun for my fellow bloggers.

Aine,

they really are entertaining. There's never such as an 'after' with renovation. It's a continuous journey, sometimes looking like an
endless struggle, sometimes like rewarding hard job.

Steve,

yes, we had lots of their meat as well.
I have seen windmills, climbed into one of them, proof's on the way. At the moment I'm occupied.