október 18, 2008

- on schooling


Dear all,

yes, I'm back.
In fact I returned on October 13, but I was either too damn busy or too lazy to write a proper post, enhanced with photographs about my trip, or both. You decide. And I'm sorry. At the same time the fact that I have so many (paid) jobs to do makes me feel right somehow.
-
At this moment I don't envisage blogging as a regular activity, due to my duties, which, beside my normal job as a translator, at these months are and will be:

1-helping in building and renovating our house

2-pushing my son into a high-school.
He's in the sixth grade now and it's time to move on to a secondary form of education. According to the Hungarian educational system, elementary schools are for either 4, 6 or 8 years.
My son might stay here for another two years, but some recent events forced me to think otherwise.
-
As some of you might remember, my son has quite an experience in schooling. By the 4th grade he's been in three institutions, four classes and homeschooled.
When he entered this school he's in now, I thought he would stay for as long as he can - to have some rest, so to say.
But.
But.
-
He finds the lessons boring, but in another way. His classes are not challenging enough. He needs some more mental feed now. Unfortunately the level of education is set to the intelligence level of the least capable person in the class. Which is a fine thing if 80% of the class is around that particular level - which is, unfortunately the case.

I'm not saying my son is a genius, but...his mates definitely do not match him.
Teachers are forced to keep the level of education low, by laws.
So off we go.
The school we are heaading for is the second best in town.
Keep your fingers crossed.
-
More to come soon, with photos I made in The Netherlands.
High cheers to Bart, whom yes, I did meet!
See the proof below. Me and Bart in the Main Square of Amsterdam.


8 megjegyzés:

Chris Eldin írta...

Welcome back!

I have changed my blogging habits to post once a week, and do most of the visiting over the weekend. I really need my blogging friends.

It is hard to do the best thing for your children when society is set up to make everyone 'the same.' I hope the best for your son. It sounds like this will be a good move for him.

Névtelen írta...

Good luck with everything!

Vesper írta...

It's so nice seeing you in a picture! Thanks for posting it! :-)

Good luck with the school and with everything!

And, please, do try to squeeze in some time for blogging too. My schedule is horrendous, but being in the blogosphere is very important to me.

Névtelen írta...

Great to see you emerging! I hope that your son finds the educational environment he needs.

SzélsőFa írta...

Chris,

Community, the sense of belonging is important for me as well. I must be getting older...or wiser :)))

Paul and Vesper,

Thank you.

Jason,

For some reason I find to follow this process difficult for myself...But I'm convinced this is the best for him.

SzélsőFa írta...

PS to Vesper: it took nme some time to gather some courage to post a photo of myself, all front and visible and all...
I don't seem to care more about who and when and why reads anything I write.
Is it confidence or lack of care and wisdom?
I'm changing and I don't seem to care to find an answer to stupid questions like that. :)
I'm all into see where this will lead me, anyway.

SzélsőFa írta...

Uhm, I do take that back. I don't seem to care more about who and when and why reads anything I write.

I referred to people with the wrong intention.

Bart Treuren írta...

hey, i see a couple of good looking people here :P
how are you keeping? i'm trying to catch up again (and again, and again...)

keep well ;-)