We spent the night while it was moving. I slept on the little row that was between the seats. Well, it was not really comfortable, but at least my legs were streched out and I was in a horizontal position.
The first photo was made in Köln (Cologne, Germany). It was foggy and a bit cold. We parked the bus on the bank of River Rheine and walked into the heart of the city to see the famous Dome.

The Dome was built in the center, or was it that all the rest of the city was built around the church, later on? The view from the river reveals that the Dome is jammed in among modern buildings. Some might find fascination in the meeting of the old and the new - but for me...it's rather sad. There is not enough room for the otherwise great building to show itself. It is prisoned in between a railway station, a modern music hall of some sort and other, rather ugly buildings.
And when I said the railway station was near, I meant it. See that red line of a train...?
And when you get really close to the Dome, there's another blasphemous act, this time by a shop that sells cameras, films and stuff like that.
I'll be back with less rambling and whining about, but with more interesting stuff...just wait and see...
6 megjegyzés:
Nice photos. I have been to Aachen in Germany.
The old buildings are certainly lovely.
Isn't Köln Cologne in English? I am not sure.
I hope one day to be able to visit such places in Europe. It sounds like you saw a lot, and I'm so happy you're sharing with us!!
When I went to Egypt, I felt a similar sadness. The pyramids are literally filthy and there are so many vendors...
oh well..
Hi Szelsofa! Glad to see you back. I know what you mean about feeling sad when beautiful old architecture is made to share space with modern buildings and such. I love when a city has an "old section" that has been maintained, so you can feel like you've been transported back in time. Can't wait for the more interesting stuff!
Hi Ropi,
yes, your are right. Cologne is the English name, but you see...it's a town in Germany. It has a German name. Being so old-fashioned, I like to stick to the original version :)
Melly,
It's good to see you here again! Wow.
Chris,
I'm glad you like my personal reports...
Aine,
I am a lazy poster these days...
You are absolutely right about that need to save an old-section. I do think most people would prefer these parts.
Megjegyzés küldése