As for blogging, I lurk everywhere - only I do not find the time to write a proper post here.
Renovations and buildings have taken a quickened pace these days and I hope to post som pictures of it in the foreseeable future, too.
Until that, here are some of the photos I made in Köln (Cologne of course, as Ropi pointed out, and as you probably all know - but...it's a German city in Germany, so I kept its name.)
--------
Now, the photos:
This is one of the ugly modern buildings that are placed within a 300m radius of the Dome. On the bottom corner there's a shop that sells the famous Cologne Water with the number.







6 megjegyzés:
I was pointing it out because maybe English speakers may not understand Köln. Nice photos.
And of course this was a right idea, Ropi, there's nothing wrong with that.
Thank you for the pictures. I was listening to a course on CD on the Enlightenment and Romanticism, and it was mentioned that Romanticism valued medieval Gothic architecture (the Gothic Revival) and that the Cologne cathedral was completed in the early 19th century. (Apparently it had stood uncompleted for several centuries.) This Romantic tendency continued into the late 19th and 20th centuries. The two great Episcopal cathedrals in America, St. John the Divine in New York, and the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., are Gothic Revival.
The dome in Köln is magnificent. I'm glad you kept the original German name when writing about it...
Ahhhhh. Thanks for the pictures. :)
Steve,
I've heard too, that it was being built for hundreds of years. Romanticism, or Gothic revival, as you put it, is a style that was on around somewhere the late 19 century here as well. But since there are still many architectural elements of that Gothic era, here it focussed on poetry and fine arts instead.
Vesper,
Yes it is great from the inside as well and although I was there 2 years ago, I only noticed its wonderfulness this time. Thanks about the name.
Jason,
There will be more of my trip very soon.
Megjegyzés küldése