.JPG)
Below are my ponderings about a group I am about to leave, and about my feelings about that. You can skip and go below to that nice shot of a sky in between late-winter
storms. Or rather, are they early spring storms? Does it amaze you how much a change in definition matters?
---
This is a local women's group and was established in 2003. It was aimed at helping women of the area. One of the founders was a friend of mine, a married woman with two kids. I joined the group because the idea seemed fun, but most of all, the idea of helping and self-helping seemed fantastic.
-
The nature of help involved giving advice about getting jobs, organising events where women of all age were able to get know more about their feminine side and about their rigths in their working place, about suitable places to go with a toddler....all sorts of things. It felt like fun. And a very useful fun at that.
-
But most of all, it was about a community. An email group, but not just a virtual one. Members of the Board, among where I used to belong then, met regularly and decided about the next step.
-
Then came autumn of 2004 when I was offered a job. I was already working but our company won some money and we extended our activities. I chose to work for money for something I adored over for voluntarily for something I also adored. I do not regret my step - and I tend to think I had no other choice. My boss was asking me something. I think it's quite obvious.
.JPG)
-
Doing that paid job meant I had to step back from the women's organisation. I remained a member, but not an active one. I attended meetings but my mind was occupied.
-
The paid job was over a year later and my mind was still a bit tired. Also, I felt myself getting involved in other subjects.
-
I began to see women and men equal, and different at the same time; not by laws of man, but laws of nature. I know it may sound weird. I begun to see that their role were different in this world and that it was rightly so. Also I felt myself getting involved in politics. In a certain way - I never joined or supported any party in any way. But there were movements I liked and sympathized with. I, approaching the age of *coughs* 35-40 have sort of settled in my views.
Which does not mean I'm not open to new ideas. And also, that I'm impeccable. - Not the least.
It's just that I have my own opinion.
-
When I returned to the organisation, I found some changes.
Some of the members were sort of disowned and repelled.
Some just plain left the organisation.
Some others have taken the Board.
-
The good thing?
The group grew bigger and had more influence. There were many courses and events organised and/or held for women. There were and still are serious achievements made by the group - including, but not limited to installing a babychanging facility in one of the public buildings of our town, handing out annual awards for shops/facilities for being child-friendly, lobbying for a special fee for mothers with children on state vehicles (this one failed, unfortunately), starting a film-club, launching a weekly club for toddlers). The group has it's effect now at town level.
-
The bad thing?
Well...
This organisation keeps repeating that it has a no-religion, no-politics, no-marketing, no-offense policy. This is part of their image.
Which is a lie.
They label certain groups as 'unwanted' and 'extremists' and well, if I had to choose where to raise a flag, I'd certainly be on those people's side.
.JPG)
-
The same goes to having become gender-focused and strongly feminist. Back in the early days, gender issues, feminism was hardly, if ever, mentioned. Now it's out in large print, as the group has come out openly as an advocate of feminism.
-
There were signs back those days....I ignored them for the sake of community. I suppressed my inner dislike of how members were thinking, because being in a community meant that much to me.
I recall meetings when I was just listening to their voices, not really caring about the meaning - for if I had done, I would have surely been outraged.
And yes, I was outraged at times. I told myself to quit, and I stayed. I stayed partly because they valued me. Not my views in particular, but it seemed that everyone liked me, as a person. I was labelled as an extremist in politics, environmental and family issues, but they did like me and I am convinced they still do.
-
So, there was I - being loved by a community toward which the attachment I felt was weakening by the hours. I was feeling less and and less useful. They asked for my advice, but I hardly gave any because those I had was of no use for them. Although I did speak up for some traditional values and views, I refrained from tough criticism of their feminism. I kept that for myself.
-
The situation is now clear for me: I am a member of a group I can no longer help. My views are unacceptable there. Their views are, most of the times, unacceptable for me. I do not want my name associated with the group anymore. I do not belong to them.
This feeling hit me hard about some months ago - and I was waiting for the occassion.
.JPG)
Do you think it is time I quitted?
Do I sound stupid for clinging to a community?
Thanks for listening.
18 megjegyzés:
Szelsofa:
I completely understand your dilemma. My feeling is that you have to go with your "gut instincts" on this one.
You're being calm about it, objective about it, pragmatic about it. I think your reasoning is sound.
Angelique
No, I don't think you are wrong for walking away. The constant pressure to hold yourself in check can't be healthy. I suggest you seek out other like-minded people, instead of holding to this group that doesn't respect your opinion.
Angelique,
my gut instinct seems to be fooling with me. They say this and next they say that. Well, most of the time they say this. Thank you for your support.
Jason,
Pressure is a right word for it. I will have to leave the quiet and comfortable space where I am outlawed to go and find a place I can call home.
It won't be easy to get accustomed to new surroundings.
A very honest and thoughtful post. I think it's right you quit. It's better for all involved that way.
Maybe the time will come you can go back to the group, or maybe not. Either way it's better to not be there is you feel uncomfortable.
Paul
Once you feel that way - it is time to quit. They know where to find you if they ever need you. So MANY stresses in life... we dont need to make more hey? I did the same thing with our local womens group. But if they ever needed me I would help if I can.
There is a heck of a lot of things I just LIKE about you.
Paul,
It has been uncomfortable for me. Thank you for your advice.
Melly,
Well perhaps, there will be a time when I return...but ow I don't want to think about that...
Melly, you are so kind :)
Szelsofa--In the U.S. there's feminism and then there's feminism. It sounds as if your group has ventured into the realm of what we'd call radical feminism. It can get pretty strident and humorless, and it's hard to see someone like you fitting in.
You might want to talk privately with individual members of the group with whom you have some rapport. The group may not realize that it is alienating people by insisting on a particular philosophy.
But leaving the group may very well be the right decision, especially if you've expressed your concerns to those in the group.
P.S. Thank you for the pictures of Budapest. Naturally I appreciate the railway trainshed--a great feat of engineering and architecture. I've never been there, but just from the pictures I've seen, Budapest is surely one of world's most beautiful cities.
hi szelsofa, i can understand your dilemma completely... in the same way you have changed in the course of time, the organisation has changed also...
a painful process, after realising that the actions being taken are out of tune with your own feelings you should take the necessary steps to either reconcile youself with the differences or move on in life in the way you feel most comfortable...
life is full of change, life is change and nothing ever stays the same... all you can do is react in all honesty and respect your own intuition, if it doesn't feel right it isn't good for you... that's all...
keep well and be strong ;-)
Run, don't walk! Once the crazies take over it's downhill all the way. This is an example from a feminist blog last week organising for a demo called, rather ominously, the 'Million Women Rise', in which they add this stern injunction:
"It is a women and children only demo but the male supporters of SBS are still encouraged to come and stand on the sidelines (as it were!) to offer their support."
It is beyond parody!
What a thoughtful post. I agree with Jason about this. The constant pressure to be somebody different is very taxing. Even though they probably don't come out and tell you to do this or that, you feel like you're in the minority. Which is not a good feeling when you're searching for community.
It sounds like the group has done good things, and you can be proud that you were part of that.
But I think when you're ready, you'll leave and find another group that is more comfortable for you.
xoxo
Chris
Steve,
exactly. It seems that their mind is set on a track and everything they see is seen from a certain view, with a prejudice.
I stayed for remembering the old times, for keeping company, but now it's time.
I will speak directly to those who are concerned.
Re:Photos: thank you!
I chose the photo with the Railway Staion on it with you in mind :)
I have some more railway-related photos, you know. My son (now 11) is a great fan of trains.
Bart,
yes, it was painful and I refused to accept it at first.
Now, with the support of all my commenters, and with my own decision it's all clear.
I feel relieved somehow.
Also, I'm heading over to your site to check your entry about this dilemma. Thank you for diving deeper into the issue there!
David,
heeehee. Running is a good solution :)
There were times when that feeling hit me, too!
Chris,
yes, I will not despise them or disown their memory from my heart. I think it is important to say goodbye in a friendly way.
Dear all my friends,
Thank you for your support.
You need to be true to yourself. To be otherwise is what causes stress in your life. You were right to quit.
Ello,
truth walks hand in hand with honesty, and I really can not put on a mask.
It will be better for all people involved.
I think I'm ready to tell the group about my decision. Thank you for your advice.
I'm sorry my comments are not about your feeling.
But I want to say, your pictures are very nice. I want to see more.
Because, I can see your country.
That is all right, Lucy. And you are welcomed to come and look at some photos of Hungary.
Sorry I'm a bit late getting over here.
Your dilemma is a difficult one. Staying with the group certainly would maintain a diversity which it clearly needs (that is, you and others of like mind would bring balance to the group). However, it sounds as if the group is past the maturity of recognizing balance and on the brink of becoming destructive. Ultimately, you got to maintain your self integrity and eliminate stress (goodness knows there's enough stressors in our lives that we can't eliminate). So, I think the decision to leave the group is the best for your health (and your family!)
And, no you don't sound stupid at all! In fact, you've demonstrated a level of maturity and tolerance in your deliberation on this issue which far exceeds that of intolerant groups. Wanting to flee once our ego's needs are not being met is immature. You are not doing that. Leaving to maintain the health and integrity of oneself is the right choice.
Sending you a cyber-hug!
Aine,
your comment is valued - coming late or early, it does not really matter.
Keeping the group's diversity was one of the reasons to stay. This is what I told myself - I have to stay to keep this community, with all those brilliant ideas, diverse. This is also what members with similar views were saying to each other. One of them left. The other one (me) is leaving. There's one left. She will be in absolute minority now.
But stress has to go.
The level of worrying about staying or going is higher than it should ever be, and also higher than the value of my contribution to the case if I stay.
Thanks for the cyber hug!
Megjegyzés küldése