Dear all, those duties seem to peak these days.
we do the bathroom floor, install the toilet and do some cleaning as well.
-
Our city is in a friendly relationship with the small city of Wageningen of The Netherlands. Some of you might remember my recollection and photos of my memories of my time in Holland. I was there in 2006 and in 2008 and now. Every second year a bunch of people travel there and every other year, the Dutch return.
During the 4 days of the visit, people from various ngos visit the other ngos of the other country, gathering experiences, listening to lectures, but basically, strengthening the ties between the two nations.
During both of my visits I was hosted by a friendly middle-aged couple and now our family is to host the husband of the same couple. He's a policeman, and is going to visit the local police station here, but his bread and breakfast is our duty.
He is to arrive Thursday and the toilet is not ready yet.
Hm... I'm off to help my husband out in the renovations...
-
6 megjegyzés:
Yes, you're going to need that toilet!
Good to hear how you've been.
Yikes-- and I'm fretting over cleaning the house for my ten-year-old's slumber party. I can't imagine preparing for a house guest in the midst of major renovations!
Sounds like a wonderful relationship between the cities. What are ngos?
Sounds like a very interesting way to get to really know people from other countries.
Hurry up with your renovations! Good luck! :-)
Jason,
we managed to finish it before our guest has arrived.
whew.
Aine,
sometimes we do have to look at other people's hardships to see ours diminish...
you know what, I guess I'm lucky as hell to have a family and a house to renovate and my biggest problem is the toilet.
some people don't even have a shelter against wind or rain.
I do consider myself lucky.
ngo means any organization that is not supported or funded by the government. they are part of the civil movement.
the women's organization I'm volunteering at is an ngo, too.
I'm sure you know the meaning. I think this abbreviation should be capitalized.
Vesper,
absolutely.
we get to see each other's house and way of living: we see that we are different yet all the same.
a very important lesson to each and every one of us.
I do hope to take one of my kids with me next time I'm going to Holland.
What a wonderful experience! One of my daughters was an exchange student in Berlin in the year that the Wall came down. She was there at the Brandenburg Gate that night - an experience of a lifetime. We have stayed in the home of German friends, and now they are here. They speak little English, and we speak little German, but we act out a lot of things and use our dictionaries and sing together. My horizons have certainly been broadened by travel. It is the best way to understand -- we're all in this together.
Enjoy your visitor and your new bathroom!
Thanks, Karen
our visitor left this Sunday, and I'll be up with some new photos.
Megjegyzés küldése