augusztus 07, 2008

Kurultaj

Dear all,

this weekend we are taking part in an event that is supposed to be a large-scale celebration in honor of our long lost relatives, who are coming to the Carpathian basin for this occassion. People of this nation call themselves madjars. The name, pronounced, resembles magyar, ie: Hungarians. These people are coming from Kazakhstan, where they are a minority. They do not look like present-day Hungarians, but their closest genetical cousins are the Hungarians, a recent study revealed.
Their myths and old folk tales are not unlike those of ours.
Only a few of Hungarians have heard of this relationship, but now it's time to meet and join together for the second time. The first meeting was held in their homeland, now we are the hosts. I have already written a post about this event: HERE.

Events of the weekend will include a ceremonial greating, a special 'Feast of the Magyars', a display of traditional arts and crafts, and also of traditional martial arts. There will be lots of singing and drumming. Various authors and researchers will hold lectures on ancient values in folk art and religion. There will be a special yurt, where ancient methods of healing will be explained and shown. One of the evenings will climax in a special ceremony that is called "walking on the fire".

All information I used are from the official site of the event.

We are going wild!!!
I'll be back with photos!
- - -
And now some explanation about my not really being present here:
This is the new door of the bathroom - as you see, it's not completely installed:


This is an earlier photo of my husband doing the wall between the bathroom and the kitchen. My daughter is helping him by handing bricks up. There is a gap between the wall-in-the-making and the chimney where my daughter waits. That place is reserved for the oven, which is yet to be built.

4 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

I love hearing about those cultural connections. I hope the visit is inspiring!

Chris Eldin írta...

Can't wait to see the photos!

All of the festivals we attend over here are ethnic ones (meaning, from other countries. Always love the food and dance and music!)

Névtelen írta...

I'm looking forward to photos too!

Also, the home improvements look like they're moving along nicely!

SzélsőFa írta...

Jason,

I'm back, finally. It WAS inspiring.

Chris,

me, too - for my PC thinks otherwise.
This meeting/festival was ethic, too, but everyone was Hungarian, or related to Hungarians. There were those madjars and also there were some uyguhrs from China.

Paul,

yeah, finally, we are on the track again.