this was my entry for Jason's and Stephen's contest named 'uncovered'. entering is now closed.
Jason was sorry not to have found this entry eligible for the contest, qoute: [...] the danger of rhyme is that it's exceptionally hard to make it look natural and effortless. In this poem, phrasings are often bent and strained for the purpose of the rhyme, and that makes the technique detract from the substance, rather than enhance it. The last stanza, however, was superb. You are never short on bravery, Szelsofa, and I have such respect for that! -
i am especially proud of the first part of the last sentence :)))
because i do like experiencing with new formulas.
and Jason's right - at some places the meaning, the sequence of the word gets twisted for the sake of rhyming. which is not a sure sign of good poetry... :S
well, at least i gave it a try....
in the past years i have entered at least four of Jason's contests - this was my fifth attempt i guess. out of the five contests i have made my way into the final fourties only once.
Unblanketed‘got a bruise on my finger
that may never heal
the pain is set to linger
do you care to feel?
I used to have a wooden box
that I filled with my precious things.
I hid the box under the rocks -
it was the chamber of the kings.
I used to go there every morn’
to watch the marching of the knights -
the glory of their costumes worn
took away my fears of the nights.
I used not to mention my place,
the secret world to anyone
but one kid came, a happy face
my former joyeous life was gone.
He said he liked it – but he lied;
pointing fingers at me, laughter
from the kids as I nearly died -
and I stayed closed ever after.
Closed within walls, safe from the world
silence has become my blanket,
I touched no-one, as no-one stirred
me, nor the peace of my casket.
Years passed by, the mould on my wall
grew thick with age, dry with sorrow,
the flowers of mind learned to crawl
to survive, hope for tomorrow.
One day there was thyme in the breeze
felt like spring, though it was winter,
he offered his heart on his knees
my wall has begun to splinter.
4 megjegyzés:
I loved this opening so much:
"‘got a bruise on my finger
that may never heal
the pain is set to linger
do you care to feel?
I used to have a wooden box
that I filled with my precious things.
I hid the box under the rocks -
it was the chamber of the kings."
Those could absolutely be lyrics to a song.
Good work.
PS I didn't get picked either. I'm trying really hard to not let it discourage me.
hey Paul, thanks for your kind words.
your words in your ps depict just exactly how i feel these moments.
but you know what, about the song w/lyrics?
i've got the lyrics and now it's your turn to make the music.
i'm serious.
i can't play any instrument, that has to be yours, but you should incorporate a singing voice as well, for i can sing, consider me an alto.
Hi SzesoFa and strugglingwriter:
We CAN form a non-40s Club here/hear!:):):)
Hey, I enjoyed your tale in poem...Somehow it reminds me of Peanuts wit' his security blanket, though yours was "uncovered"!Myne is aMore pillows, four in various sizes...But in CON contests, it's hard to score via Verse whowever wellA composed IMHO-lah!
That "lah" is among the quirks, like tehtarik, among us from Malaysia. Teh is Tea, Tarik is Pulled, so is the national beverage of Malaysia. Esp among newsdogs like Desi, and I don an average of half a dozen, can't afford cheaper by the doz!:)
Yes, I also wish one of my 3songs will wan day put music to my poems: I had one titled "Don't stop the music" and just recently this was among the titles in a new album released (not by Desi!:( I saw over Astro.
Cheers, for now -- IF we can get together mayhaps (is that an English word?:) we can form an acapella singing grope..oops, group!
PS: I don't feel discouraged as much as you did (judging by ypur initial comment at Jason's, just wan small byte!:) -- you win some, you lose more. Out of 7 entries so far, I reached home at Forties ONCE, gOod enough because this is just a hobby, earning some pocket money to add on three layers of peanut butter to my french toast!:)
I too versify (is that an English word?:( a byte, had published an Anthology 3years plus back.
thanks desi for coming here and for your kind words.
re: contest: i admire your endurance. after all these seven contests, you have made it only once, yet you are still up and running. now that is some spirit in you. mine sometimes is going low...
i don't know anything about peanuts :) i think he's a cartoon dog character or something :)
also thanks for your explanation about tehtarik.
Megjegyzés küldése