december 28, 2008

a Hungarian Christmas

Here are some photos of our Christmas. Traditional dishes, fun and family members are seen.

All questions are welcomed.
---
Photo #1.
The first day of Chirstmas is spent within the smallest family possible. The second and third days of Christmas however, are great occassions to gather a larger chunk of the larger family together. In this photo, my kids (2) and almost all the kids of my husband's sister are seen in the flat of my husband's mother. One kid, a boy is missing from the photo.

Photo#2.

Chicken, stuffed with minced goods, fresh from the oven. For garnishment, baked potatoes and sauteéd red cabbage are served. A hearty meat, a warmful companion for the harsh winter weather outside.

Photo#3.

This is our small Christmas tree on Christmas eve. We keep it in the large container outside throughout the year and bring it inside for the festivity. This means the plant lives as a normal container-raired tree except for the period between 24 December and 6 January.

Photo#4.
Our advent ring in the background, with a corn salad in the front. This was part of our Christmas lunch, not really traditional at all - but hey, everyone loves the way I make it.


Photo#5.
Traditional cookies. Some are made with poppyseed, walnut cream, the tree and the flower shaped ones are gingerbreads. Our neighbour, an old lady made them for her family and gave us some as a present.




13 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

I hope your Christmas was good. I ate too much. :)

Névtelen írta...

I am curious that you have chicken for Christmas dinner. I thought the traditional meal in eastern Europe was carp.

SzélsőFa írta...

Ropi,

People do tend to overeat these days...not a healthy habit, I agree...

David Duff,

you were right to assume that carp (or basically, any other sweet-water fish) was *the* traditional Christmas dish in Hungary.
The fact is, we had fish last Christmas and it did not turn out quite right. So the *chef* (read: Grandmother) decided to treat some nicer stuff this year.
Welcome back to my world, btw.

SzélsőFa írta...

*to treat us*, that is.
Sorry, it's quite late now here...

Névtelen írta...

Oh, I never left 'your world', it's just that until yesterday I had nothing to say! Your blog is on my "Favourites" list and I visit fairly often because it is an oasis of tranquility compared to the 'battlegrounds' I usually get involved with. (To be fair, it is often me that starts the fights!)

I hope your house improvements go well. I am amazed at the way people in Eastern Europe build their own houses. My son lives with a Czech girl from a small village in Moravia and her sister and brother-in-law (and baby) lived in her parents' house (built by her father 30-odd years ago) for 4 years whilst they built a new house with the help of their friends. Apparently everyone helps everyone else in all the different skills that are required. Amazing!

Before I forget, please pass on my compliments to the old lady next door and tell her that her cookies look terrific!

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Névtelen írta...

It looks very warm and peaceful. :)

Chris Eldin írta...

Thanks for sharing a bit of your home life! Looks absolutely enchanting!!
Merry Christmas!
:-)

Lucy írta...

Happy new year. I hope it will be a good year for you all.
Chickens and cookies are so nice.

Bart Treuren írta...

hallo franci,

i'm glad your christmas was good for you, that you could spend time with your larger family and just wind down at the end of the year... it's a time of reflection, taking leave of the year that is past and looking forward to the new year in the hope that life will be better and more fulfilling...

all the best wishes for you and your family, that 2009 will be the greatest year ever for all of you...

keep well

SzélsőFa írta...

David,

Thank you for your kind words about my blog - one always discovers a new way of being useful to another....amazing...

Jason,

This is what a true Christmas is for :)

Chris,

I'm that my bits of my life can prove interesting to you. Thanks for the good wishes!

Lucy,

and they were tasty, too!

Bart,

despite all the kids' laughing and moving around it truly was relaxing.
I am yet to find out what the new year might bring...
thanks for the heartful wishes!

steve on the slow train írta...

Cookies look wonderful. I had thought that carp was for Christmas Eve--last day of Advent--while meat was for Christmas Day. Best wishes for the New yEAR.

Vesper írta...

It all looks wonderful.

Happy New Year, dear SzélsőFa! My best wishes for you and your loved ones.

xo

SzélsőFa írta...

Steve,

Thanks for your good wishes. Carp truly is a tradition for Christmas - see also my explanation to David Duff.

Vesper,

Thank you for your sweetness. All the bests to you, too.